Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My neighbor has just adopted two beautiful 5 month old shelties, which I don't know too much about. Since her internet is down I told her I would research the breed some, and I keep reading about bones that could be easily broken.
Does anyone recommend that this breed should also be on a calcium supplement?
I do know although her heart is in the right place, the dog food they are on are NOt the best of dog food (store brand...I believe from dollar general, I belive even purina puppy chow would be better for them than this brand of food) but they do not have enough money for anything more and probably wouldn't get anything better if they could unfortunatly. (they already thinik i am crazy that i spend 42 dollars on taste of the wild..) So please no judgeing on that part, I have already tried to get them on better dog food. :) I don't think she understands it anyways. or even gets it. but with some people you just can't get through enough about what good dog food can actuaally benefit better anyways. but if I can get a calcium supplement I would feel much better about it. if so can you give them the calcium pills for humans?? they are sweet, seem in good health and I checked over their gums and teeth for them and shots are up to date.
Thanks...

·
Registered
296 Posts
They need to be on a puppy formula approved by aafco. I do not recommend giving a calcium supplement, as that could/would throw off the calcium to phosphorous balance essential for proper growth. if you supplement with too much calcium you'll deform the poor dog's legs.

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
I wouldn't give calcium supplements before the pups were full-grown.

If you do want to give calcium supplements, yes you can give them human pills... talk to the vet about dosage.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
I wouldn't give calcium supplements to dogs eating dog food. Hard to believe even the cheapest dog food wouldn't have enough calcium, calcium is cheap.

Kibbles are low in Omega 3. If you could talk her into topping the food with some canned mackerel, salmon or sardines from that dollar store that would boost the nutrition immensely. High protein and high Omega 3. Downside would be the sodium and possibly a reaction to the vegetable oil the fish is packed in.

Is this the stuff?http://hubpages.com/hub/Dog-Food-Review-Dollar-General-Brand-Dog-FoodNot good stuff.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
No as long as the pup is healthy they shouldn't need to give any additional supplements. And it the pup is not healthy then they need to be consulting with their vet. None of the sheltie puppies I've met have ever had even the slightest indication that they are any more fragile then any other pup. Not sure where you're reading about easily broken bones. Though sheltie pups to get under foot alot, I know mind did, so they could easily be hurt by an adult or child triping over them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts