Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
putting the dog under for nail trimming realy should be the LAST resort. i only ever recommend it to people whose dogs are literally impossible to do (as in the dog is more likely to have a heart attack due to stress than get any nails clipped). i have only met about 2 or 3 dogs that i would put into that catagory. as it doesnt sound like your dog hates nail trims, just that she has long nails, i wouldnt suggest letting the vet do it. there is a risk everytime a dog is put under (anyone really), and i dont consider it to be worth the risk, should something happen to the dog. i know people who have had it done when getting other things done (teeth cleaning, for example), and that makes a little more snese to me than putting the dog under just for the nails.

and like the above poster said, the nails will be extremely sensitive after the procedure, since every one of them were cut too short and bled.

and you should be trimming them more if your goal is to get them shorter. once a month trimming isnt even enough for some dogs with normal nail lengths. start checking them everyday and if there is some to trim then trim it. if you barely cut the quik, its no big deal, just keep septic powder around. i would be trimming them at least every week, more if the nails are growing faster.

·
Registered
347 Posts
its hard to imagine it without seeing it for myself.

in general, i think the scissor type trimmers are best for everyone (especially for beginners though, they are just easier to hold). i have met few who prefer the guilotine style.

any dog (or any animal really) will be better in any situation if the person is calm. i would suggest not even trying to trim the nails of a dog who doesnt like it if your nervous. it sort of defeats the purpose. it is best to learn on easier dogs. im glad that shes better now that you're more comfortable, b/c thats a sign that she will keep getting better.

if you can't seem to trim the nails more often than you are b/c they are growing slowly, then a dremel will be the next best option. however, they take some getting used to as well, and some dogs dont always respond well to them. i would maybe call around to different salons and see if they offer dremeling, and if maybe they can teach you how to do it. it may be hard, most groomers are busy. but sometimes you get lucky and one has a free afternoon.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.