Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Morning,

I'm new to puppyhood and this forum. My 9 week old Golden, Asha, has been settling in fairly well and hasn't had any accidents in the house for 4 days (had her since the weekend).

But she's whines and whines in her crate at night. I also work 8-5 and she probably also whines during the day. I do let her out periodically throughout the night and during the day (neighbor and/or I come home).

We purchased a sturdy exercise pen yesterday to use instead of the crate downstairs and brought the crate into the bedroom and put her in it to sleep. As soon as we closed the door she started whining. I opened the door to see what she would do (after she quieting for a minute) and she came out but went back in and laid down. I closed the door after a few minutes and she started whining again.

I feel bad for not wanting to keep her in my bedroom (I feel sleep deprived as it is and can hear her from by bedroom when she whines downstairs), so I took her back to the x-pen. She whined for a little while and stopped.

What do you think about keeping her in my bedroom but not use a crate? Maybe just leash her and keep her on the ground? I don't want her in bed (I have a cat, too and that's her territory :)

I feel bad that she's crated for so much of the day. She doesn't have all of her shots yet, so can't go on walks. I try to tire her out running around the backyard, but that doesn't help the whining.

Suggestions? Thanks!!

-Monu

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
1. Ignore the whining. Just make sure she has a special crate only chew toy such as a stuffed Kong toy or, IF she won't tear it apart, a stuffed animal to sleep with.

2. Use the ex-pen when you're at work or can't get home within a couple hours. Just put the crate inside the pen with the crate door open and set it all up in an easily cleaned location such as the kitchen.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
1. Ignore the whining. Just make sure she has a special crate only chew toy such as a stuffed Kong toy or, IF she won't tear it apart, a stuffed animal to sleep with.

2. Use the ex-pen when you're at work or can't get home within a couple hours. Just put the crate inside the pen with the crate door open and set it all up in an easily cleaned location such as the kitchen.
Great advice!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Has anyone tried keeping your puppy in the bedroom uncrated overnight?

If so, how did that go?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the suggestions. I will just stick to crating her at night in the kitchen. The whining has just been getting to me, but I understand it's normal behavior.

Pugmom, I definitely don't want that to happen!!

·
Registered
532 Posts
I am thinking that maybe this isn't standard, but when Sierra was a puppy we crated her in our bedroom at night. I knew that when she was an adult I wanted her to sleep in my room at night (not on the bed). It seemed to help her to have us in the same room and now that she is old enough she has her own bed in the corner that she sleeps on every night and we crate her when we go on vacations.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
You would not be doing the puppy a favor by pampering it and responding to every wimper. you must train the dog to learn YOUR schedule, it may take up to a few months but you HAVE to be consistent, otherwise you may end up with a dog that rules your life.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
The whinning is fear and loneliness at being separated from you. Yes, you can make the puppy learn to live with that separation over time but, it's really not necessary.
I've raised 14 dogs and as puppies they all slept next to the bed in their crates with very little whinning. And, none of them ever ruled my life....they made it whole.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
I am thinking that maybe this isn't standard, but when Sierra was a puppy we crated her in our bedroom at night. I knew that when she was an adult I wanted her to sleep in my room at night (not on the bed). It seemed to help her to have us in the same room and now that she is old enough she has her own bed in the corner that she sleeps on every night and we crate her when we go on vacations.
The whinning is fear and loneliness at being separated from you. Yes, you can make the puppy learn to live with that separation over time but, it's really not necessary.
I've raised 14 dogs and as puppies they all slept next to the bed in their crates with very little whinning. And, none of them ever ruled my life....they made it whole.
I agree. We went the hard-nosed route when we first got Poca, letting her whine and fuss in her crate at night. In the end, no one got any sleep and it meant she was alone for 16 hours of the day (4 in the morning, 4 in the afternoon and 8 at night) -- that's just too long for a puppy. I would crate her in your room at night. It's what I would do if I had her first month with us to do over again.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
At night I would put the crate next to my bed so that the pup is sleeping with it's "pack." And you do need to set your alarm every 2-3 hours during the night to take the pup out to potty (start with 2 hours and increase gradually) at this age.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
mayeb it's just me but I don't see why the puppy shoudn't be expected to sleep though the night. Hawkeye was never let out at night and he didn't whimper in the kennel eather. and Kechara would wimper in the Kennel but soon learned that it did her no use after about a month.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
Keechak
you are correct with your pup and I'm even harsher as I don't even want a crate in bedroom. (kept in spare bedroom) I don't set alarms to take pups out etc. The beauty of it is all the above replies work. Except the 9 week old pup loose in bedroom at night.

·
Banned
221 Posts
Put the puppy in your bedroom at night. She is afraid and lonely. In the wild she would never be alone at her age. She is completely dependent on someone else for her welfare and she is not equipped mentally to be alone. If she is crated in your bedroom she can hear you breathing, smell you, and hear you moving and she will know she is not alone. The whining will stop.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the replies.

Asha whined last night for the first 10 minutes and didn't make a peep for the rest of the night. I woke up at 2am (naturally) and took her out to wee.

I'll try her in the crate tonight in our bedroom and see how it goes. I'll let you all know.

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
When I started crating my puppy, I had her beside the bed but I also put a blanket over the crate. There has never been one single whine out of her and she sleeps right through the night. Of course, I am lucky enough to be home all the time so she gets lots of exercise during the day which really helps to tire her out. Up till twelve weeks old, I did get up once during the night to let her outside even though she never fussed or asked to go out. She is completely housebroken and more likely to stay that way if she is not running around loose at night. Eventually, she will be loose all the time but not till she is quite a bit older.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts