Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ask a lot of questions on these forums. "You will never know anything until you admit you know nothing." However, one of the mot pressing questions I have is more one of opinion, not facts or training advice. Last October I had to give up my Anatolian Shepherd to a new home because my mom's boyfriend disliked her. I felt like she didn't deserve to be in a house with so much negativity and hate, so I let her go despite loving her very, very much.
When I first got her in January of 2012, she was an eleven week old puppy, and was the sweetest thing. I had plans to train her for therapy work.
Now, I got a new Rottie mix, Gonzo, who was actually raised with Angel. He is a docile dog, and I really want to train him for therapy work. Now, the question I have is whether or not that would be okay? I don't want it to seem like I'm replacing Angel, but I really want to spend the time training him and getting him certified. Would training Gonzo for therapy work make it seem like I'm replacing my former dog?

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
I hope the boyfriend is gone. Terrible reason to get rid of a dog. Good reason to get rid of a boyfriend. But anyway, the dog needs to be trained. Why would it make any difference if you trained him to do therapy work or not?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When I first got Gonzo, I got a lot of silent judgement and someone actually told me I was just replacing Angel. I guess I became paranoid.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Training Gonzo to be a therapy dog sounds like a wonderful idea. It seems like you parting ways with Angel was something a bit beyond your control, and even very honorable to recognize the situation and be able to do the "right" thing. It sounds like you really love dogs, and every dog-lover knows that there is a hole in everyone's life that can only be filled by a dog! Good luck to you and Gonzo!!

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
When I first got Gonzo, I got a lot of silent judgement and someone actually told me I was just replacing Angel. I guess I became paranoid.
You're the one living your life. Live it in a way that makes you proud and don't worry about what other people think.

My previous dog was dead all of 2 weeks before I started looking for a new dog. Do you think that means I didn't love Muggsy? Of course not, he was my soulmate. I need a dog around. So I found a very nice rescue, who was only pulled from the shelter because the rescue knew I was looking for a dog. If I had worried about meeting other people's grief schedules, Kabota would be dead.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts