Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the typical answer to the question is "if you have to ask, yes" but I tend to worry about everything so I'm really not a good judge. Here's the situation with my almost 10-month-old standard poodle, Katie.

Over the weekend, we noticed that she started to develop the same odor she had when she was diagnosed with a nasal / respiratory infection. She didn't have any symptoms (no nasal discharge, was eating, drinking, playing, eliminating normally, ears looked fine), but I was keeping an eye on her.

Monday around 3am she vomited bile. We took her outside and she urinated and had a normal BM. We gave her about 1/3 cup rice and ground beef in two servings between 4am and 6am.

Between 6:30am and about 9am, she had another normal BM but vomited the rice and beef. We made an appointment with the vet.

Around 4pm, I took her outside and she urinated. Came back in the house, she drank some water and vomited. I also noticed that her face / lip was swollen.

Around 6pm, I took her outside again. That time she squatted, seemed to strain, and produced very small amounts of mucusy looking stool. She then scooted on the ground a little.

Saw the vet at 7pm.
The vet immediately diagnosed the problem as an intestinal obstruction. Katie's temperature was normal (102), she didn't show any discomfort when her abdomen was palpated, and didn't appear to be in any distress. The vet said it wasn't an emergency and we should watch her (but wasn't clear as to what for). She gave Katie an injection of Cerenia and bottle of Sucralfate. Said she was dehydrated and to give small, frequent amounts of water and to resume feeding rice and beef in the morning.

The vet insisted that the odor was from her anal glands even when we told her that the odor from the gland she expressed was not the same odor we smelled. She mostly ignored the facial swelling, but after we asked repeatedly, said to give her Benadryl.

Today, Katie has been acting a little less animated than normal, but did perk up after she had some food and water. Since this afternoon, she's been eating and drinking (even licking her dish). She vomited a small amount of water after running in the yard, but I suspect that was too much activity too soon. The swelling is almost completely gone and the odor is less noticeable.

The only thing that is concerning is that she's not had a normal BM since yesterday morning, but she's had two more episodes of mucusy, almost liquid stool. Is this something we should call the vet about?

Thanks!

·
Registered
48 Posts
I would immediately get another vet. If an obstruction was suspected it would have required immediate surgery after a barium series, xrays, pos. Ultrasound. It is extremely life threatening.

I think your dog should have been kept for observation and given iv fluids at the very least.

A second opinion never hurts and clearly something is wrong..

Best of luck, let us know how shes doing.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
If your vet ignores questions about swelling and won't listen to your concerns, you need a new vet. I would get a second opinion immediately.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
I would definitely get in to see another vet immediately. I thought it strange no x-ray was done at least when a blockage was suspected. I just went through this last week. I insisted on a barium also because the x-ray showed a bunch of " stuff " in there.

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice. My husband is calling the vet now. Everything I've read indicates that if it were an obstruction, she'd be getting worse, not better. I honestly think the only reason the vet gave us a diagnosis of obstruction is that Katie is 10 months old. She made the diagnosis after hearing the symptoms, but before doing any type of exam.

The vet was a temporary (possible permanent) replacement for the vet we had been seeing. Our original vet moved to California between December and now. In the middle of the appointment, we decided we'd be looking for a new vet.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Good you are getting another vet and appointment .... keep us posted. :) Good luck and I hope all is well!

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good you are getting another vet and appointment .... keep us posted. :) Good luck and I hope all is well!
Thanks Abbylynn! My husband talked to the vet earlier today (unfortunately, the same one we saw Monday night - we hoped one of the regular vets would have been in the office). She said that since Katie is improving, that she was probably mistaken about the blockage and that Katie just had some type of gastrointestinal bug. Her initial diagnosis seemed to be based primarily on Katie's age, the vomiting, and the fact that she didn't believe that Katie hadn't eaten anything she shouldn't have, rather than on the actual exam.

My husband stayed home with her today and fed her the entire batch of rice and ground beef (3/4c dry rice + 1/8lb beef) plus some kibble. She ate another 3/4c kibble after I got home and is looking for more. She's not complete back to being a rambunctious puppy, but is much peppier than she was yesterday. I was actually happy that she was misbehaving on our walk. She still hasn't had a BM, but she went from Sunday evening to yesterday afternoon without food so it may take some time.

We're still looking for a new vet; I've begun asking colleagues for recommendations (again).

Thanks again!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts