Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I just found what seems to be a softball sized lipoma on the thigh of my dog. I know that these are common, but I am slightly worried because my dog is so young...she will be 2 next month,

She is a female lab/aussie mix, she was a rescue and bred by a sick dog. She suffers from dental hydroplasia and allergies but is otherwise very active and healthy.

The mass does appear to fit the description of a fatty tumor as it is soft, mobile, and doesnt seem to be bothering her.

Should I be worried?? Comments are greatly appreciated! Thanks!!

·
Registered
7,323 Posts
Softball-sized is huge. You should get that checked out as soon as possible.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
You don't know that's a lipoma, and even if it is, it's way too big to leave in place.

·
Banned
43 Posts
My dog had a similar lump but on the side of her neck, it ended up being an abscess. The only way you will know for sure is by taking your dog to the vet.

·
Registered
6,657 Posts
My dog has multiple lipomas... IMO a lump of that size and in a 2 year old dog is unlikely to be a lipoma, which mainly affect older dogs and are typically slow growing - if your dog is touched at all a lipoma would likely have been noticed way before it got to softball size.

Additionally, without getting it aspirated there is know way to know for sure that it is actually a lipoma; it could be any number of not-benign things, such as an abscess or a malignant tumour. Until you go to the vet to have it checked out there's know way to know.

Please make an appointment with your vet as soon as you are able.

·
Registered
9,404 Posts
Rather than a fatty lipoma, it may be a cyst. I agree with everyone, go ask a Vet. A needle aspiration is not that expensive.

Also, consider removal if the Vet suggests it. And, ask the Vet about lower cost options or financing, if that's an issue.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the replies and feedback...I think I was slightly over exaggerating when I said softball size...but it's also in an awkward area and not extremely noticeable. Anyways, we have a vet appt tomorrow to have it checked...I'm always worrying that I am overreacting and taking her in too often for little problems, but you all made me realize it is important to have checked. Thanks!

·
Registered
6,657 Posts
Even something that approaches softball size that you notice all of a sudden is cause for concern. My dogs lipomas range from the size of a dime to the size of a grape. :S

·
Registered
9,404 Posts
.... On the other hand, Shep is 14yo and has an aspirated/diagnosed 3-inch fatty lipoma hanging off the side of his belly. It doesn't bother Shep, and the Vet has never discussed it or offered to remove it... [But 14yo is very different from 2yo]

·
Registered
6,657 Posts
Shep's also a lot bigger than Snowball, which probably makes a difference too. ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts