Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Should I wake up my puppy to pee on schedule?

33K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Inga 
#1 ·
So, my puppy is out cold right now. I've been taking him outside every two hours during the day for a pee or a poop. The scheduled time to go out is now. Do I take him out, or do I let him sleep???

#5 ·
I did that the first few nights but she was up before my alarm went off. So, I waited until I heard her in the crate and took her out if it was more than two hours. She went from getting up three times the first several nights to an early morning potty break.

Trust the puppy to let you know. I am glad I did. She now makes it to 6 am without waking.

Theresa

#6 ·
Several people did not read the 'during the day' part, where the dog is likely NOT in a crate, and in that instance I certainly would not 'trust the puppy to let you know'. Puppies are not likely to alert you when they have to go when loose in the house (unless you get really lucky like I did with my current pup who was going to the door on the 2nd day I had him at 9 weeks, but I still had to keep a very close eye on him as he was obviously not house trained at 9 weeks). As I said before, as long as you keep watch of the puppy so you know exactly when he wakes up so you can rush him outside, just let him sleep.

#7 ·
I would never wake them up to pee. As they get older their bladder can hold it longer and longer. Potty breaks after meals of course and before bed. Then if they wake up and want to go out, of course take them out but don't wake them to take them out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.