Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings. I just got my first puppy... his name is Rufus. He's a 10 week old lab-shepherd mix. He's SO cute, and I'm doing my best to raise him, but I'm concerned about his eating....

I purchased Canidae dry dog food from the shelter because that's what they told me they had been feeding him and I wanted to stay consistent. The back of the bag says to feed a dog his age/weight .5-1.5 cups. What it doesn't specify is whether this is the amount he should be eating per day or per meal.

I usually put 1 cup in his bowl and feed him at 6am, 12:30pm, and 6pm. Sometimes he'll eat the majority of food in his bowl, but usually he just picks at it for a bit and walks away with about .7 of cup remaining.

I wonder if perhaps he's just not that hungry, however, my roomate has a dog, and Rufus LOVES her food. Whenever the other dog's food is out Rufus charges at the food bowl and gobbles it up! He's never shown that kind of interest in his own food.

He doesn't look too thin, but I'm very concerned that he's not eating enough. I'm concerned that he's really hungry, but dislikes his food. The excitement that he shows over the other dog's food leads me to believe that he might still be really hungry even after his own meals are provided and then ignored.

I'm really not sure what to do. Do I try feeding him a different brand of food?
Perhaps I'm worrying excessively, but I care deeply for him and his health.

Thanks for the help :)

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
1. The amounts on dog food bags are often more than the average dog/pup needs. If the pup is eating but just not always finishing you could reduce the amount fed each meal. But when he's an adolescent he'll probably need almost double what he'll require as an adult.

2. If you want to change his food go ahead but do so gradually so as not to upset his digestive system. You don't say what your roommate feeds but don't choose any food solely based on the dog's likes (or dislikes). Just like with us they don't always prefer what's good for them.

3. Relax.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I agree with Skelaki - I feed my pup a lot less than what's stated on the bag. She is "supposed" to be fed 2 cups to 2.5 cups a day. I've tried that, and there's just a whole lot left over. Instead, she gets about 1.5 cups a day or less. She doesn't seem hungry at all.

The higher brand foods such as yours and mine, the dogs seem to eat less because it's more filling for them (that's what I'm getting the idea, by reading). Dogs that eat the less than desireable food tend to eat a lot more because it takes more to "fill" them up.

If the other dog's food is just as good as Cainidae, then I don't see why not to switch over...SLOWLY!

Also - keep something in mind - if you're training your dog througout the day by goodies (chicken for example - I use chicken only strictly for potty, and she goes out like 8 to 10 times a day), your dog may be more full, so less food is eaten during meal times.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I do train him with treats throughout the day. But if he was full, would he attack the other dog's food bowl like that?
What's the other food? I would bet it is a poor-quality food with sugars.

·
Registered
80 Posts
What's the other food? I would bet it is a poor-quality food with sugars.
It's true. It's like having veggies and fish for dinner, yet in the other room is a nice big juicy hamburger from In and Out burger or McDonalds. Which ones would you prefer? I would prefer the one from In and Out Burger!

·
Registered
347 Posts
It's sick. I'm more responsible with my dog's diet than my own.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts