Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay after hearing your supposed to wait like 8 hours between kibble and raw,I`m not sure if I followed that I can give any raw treats anymore. Sense feeding chicken necks or bones past midnight doesn't sound very appealing to me. Also he done well on it before,and giving eggs more than once a week seems to be more risky with him getting upset stomach.

Also no, I can't feed just raw,or even enough raw for a full meal. With the lack of butchers and options here it would be to pricey or too much of a bother.

Would a raw egg with meal or piece of meat only like a couple hours afterwards it once a week or even once a month be harmful? I really can't seem to find real proof on it being harmful,just that they digest differently or can be fattening.

Other info I moved back to Taste of the Wild kibble. And I just like the idea of supplements and he is a pretty picky dog so stuff like sweet potato or green beans won't cut it.

·
Registered
11,257 Posts
I have yet notice any issue giving raw and kibble either together or in the same day. Mostly I give it two separate meals for cleanliness and convienence but they have done fine either way.

My reasoning is that I can digest sashimi and cooked habachi grill in the same meal, so why can't they do about the same? Or for a dog example, kibble vs canned which has a very different moisture content and such but no one seems to be concerned about feeding togther.

·
Banned
1,765 Posts
Is he having digestive issues?

I've yet to meet a dog that had issues just because raw and kibble were not fed 8 hours apart. I keep things like marrow bones and chicken feet around as treats regardless of whether I'm feeding raw or kibble or whatever. When I live with roommates that have dogs, they get those treats too and do just fine. I've fed my dog raw mixed with cooked just fine as well. Honestly, while I understand the concern of mixing raw and kibble and how it can potentially cause issues in digestion, I've always just kind of disregarded it unless I was dealing with a dog with a particularly sensitive stomach.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
I'm completely mystified as to how that myth got started. It makes absolutely no sense at all. Feed your dog whatever agrees with him. Don't worry about it.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
ya, there is no reason at all for that myth. unless your dog is having tummy issues, don't worry about it. heck I feed kibble in the same meal as raw all the time lol. if the meat didn't fully thaw on time I will just throw kibble in with the thawed meat to make up enough for a meal, and when I adopted Paisley she came with a few days worth of kibble from her foster home, so I just halved it, and mixed the kibble with the raw till the kibble was gone since she was looking at the rest of my dogs food like she got gyped lol

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
some dogs get upset stomach eating both at the same time, but most healthy dogs are fine with it.

As long as your individual dogs are ok with it then I wouldn't change anything

·
Registered
142 Posts
Nope! My dog often gets his raw mixed in with his kibble. Too costly to feed 100% raw but he adores it so as often as I can he gets it. If your dog doesn't get explosive diarrhea, I'd say it's fine to feed them within whatever time frame you're used to feeding. Works for me!

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
It's never made any logical sense to me that you shouldn't mix. I do it all the time. It's super common among mushers.

If it causes YOUR dog problems, then don't do it. If it doesn't, don't worry about it.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okay I was thinking the whole thing seemed odd,but I wanted to make sure sense giving raw seemed pointless if it was going to be even a teeny tiny bit harmful. He has been fine on it,same with canned mixed with kibble although too much of anything can cause stomach upset with him so I try to keep it limited. The only time he had explosive diarrhea was on a certain kibble and one time when he drank too much salt water.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
We switch back and forth all of the time without any issues. We also feed raw as treats when on kibble and use kibble as training treat when on raw and have never had an issue.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
I think mixing raw and kibble would have upset Muggsy's stomach, but any sudden changes upset his stomach. Changing suddenly from one protein to the other in the same brand and line of kibble (like Acana lamb to Acana duck) could set off gastroenteritis in that dog. I bet someone had a dog like that and assumed the issue was mixing raw with kibble and an internet myth was born.

·
Registered
7,842 Posts
I feed raw treats, like marrow bones, beef neck bones and split knuckle bones, even ribs. the only thing Josefina cant tolorate (but everyone else had no problem??? go figure) is turkey necks for some reeason. i feed her satin/fat balls, which are made using raw ground meat (pink slime free of course!), and I mix them with her kibble.

I also cant do full raw, there are also not many butchers here as well and buying the meat from the supermarket would be too pricy ... so kibble it is LOL. though I see NP with the occasional raw treat.

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
Waiting between raw and kibble has never made sense to me either. I mean, I've heard the argument that different foods digest at different rates, etc... But kibble is nothing but an amalgamation of different types of foods that are all going to digest at different rates anyway. And also.... why is food digesting at different rates a big deal in the first place?

I guess this means now I have to wait 8 hours between getting steak tartare at my favourite lounge and my traditional end-of-the-night McDouble.

·
Registered
7,842 Posts
Waiting between raw and kibble has never made sense to me either. I mean, I've heard the argument that different foods digest at different rates, etc... But kibble is nothing but an amalgamation of different types of foods that are all going to digest at different rates anyway. And also.... why is food digesting at different rates a big deal in the first place?

I guess this means now I have to wait 8 hours between getting steak tartare at my favourite lounge and my traditional end-of-the-night McDouble.
Ha I had to Google steak tartare ... I am such a hick ... lmbo. I come to see it kind of like ... beef sushi xD

·
Registered
106 Posts
I regularly feed raw with kibble, and have never had a problem. I'm talking 27 years of having dogs. If it was a problem I'm sure i would have seen something negative by now..

1 - 20 of 20 Posts