Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should I put my 15 year old (turning 16 soon) dalmatian to sleep? She the sweetest dog ever and I love her to death, but I don't want her to leave her in pain. I can only walk her up a street or two and back- she can't really walk anymore than that. She's an obese dog- she has thyroid issues which is why she has trouble losing weight. She still seems to be enjoying life though...

But the real problem is the tumor on her leg. It's about the size of half my palm, and is infected. She licks it all the time, and it looks painful. I put medicine on it everyday like the vet said, but the infection is not clearing up, in fact it's getting worse! The vet said they can't remove it, but it looks like it could be removed with surgery in my opinion. They're not the best vets in the world, so maybe I should try a different one? She also has some kinds of wierd scabs on one patch on her back, which the vet said is a skin disease. I've been putting prescribed medication on it and it looks alright and it hasn't been bothering her at all. But the tumor...:'( I'm not sure if I should put her to sleep or wait, or just let nature take its course. Please help. She hasn't been eating her kibble (we feed her IAMS along with wet food), so I grilled a hamburger for my princess instead.

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
The infection is probably getting worse because she can lick it. Put an e-collar on the dog and see how things go from there. If you also don't feel your vet is the best, I'm not really sure why you're still going.

Whether or not you euthanize her is up to you. I can tell you what I would do, but I'm not emotionally involved with your dog. It's easier to say yes or no if it isn't your dog. If they no longer seemed to have a quality of life that I though they where happy, then it would be a yes for me.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
I'm so sorry. Truly sorry. I lost my best friend in November, so I know what you're going through.

You could certainly try a different vet. In fact, you should, if you can, or you're going to feel guilty about not doing so. You'll always wonder if another vet would have made a difference.

Personally, to me, it's a matter of how much pain they're in and whether they feel any joy anymore. If you feel she isn't enjoying anything, not food, not attention, not play, nothing, then you need to consider the end. If you feel she's in pain all the time, you'll want to spare her that. Only you can make this decision, so make it with love and know that whatever you decide, you did your best.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I would take her to another vet just so I KNEW I had done everything I could !! WIth that said, my heart goes out to you ! I too have had to make this very difficult decision. My thoughts and prayers will be with you !

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
I would take her to another vet. They should do blood work at the least to figure out if she's a good candidate for surgery. I assume she is on thyroid meds? That is no excuse for her being obese. I adopted a dog that should have weighed about 25lbs but weighed 43.7lbs. Get her off the Iams. I used Wellness Core reduced fat. It's not cheap but she will feel so much better if you get the weight off her. Feed her the amount for what she *should* weigh, not what she does weigh. My gal had alot of health issues and had a tumor removed from her shoulder at age 13 yrs and did fine. Again, take her to a different vet.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I would only take her to another vet if she's okay with going to the vet. There's no need to cause her more anxiety than necessary. I think if you're asking the question, that you're beginning to think it is time. Sometimes the answer is in your heart and you know she'll love you through it which ever you choose.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
My personal test is based on quality of life - can the dog go to the bathroom ok, can she walk ok, does she still wag her tail, does she still enjoy eating. For example, I had a dog that was deaf, blind, and needed some help walking up and down the driveway, because of arthritis. Otherwise, he was healthy and happy, so I didn't put him to sleep until his kidneys started to fail.

I do think that you might consider the opinion of another Vet, who may have suggestions for relieving her discomfort and problems...

·
Registered
367 Posts
16? That is a outstanding age for a dog to live to. And it sounds like she still has some quality of life in her. I would think that the vet is probably thinking that its not safe to put a dog at that age under sedation or it might be something that truly can't be removed because more problems can arise. Enjoy all the time you have left with her and I really give you lots of credit for giving this dog a wonderful long life.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts