Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
should i let my preg dog sit in the sun?

tilly... my yorkie is 4.5 weeks preg.....
she keeps wanting to go out and sunbathe. as part of my research it says not to let her overheat. she keeps going out having a nap and comes in panting but happy. should i be letting her do this? i know she knows her own body but this is the first time for both of us and i don't want to mess up having got so far

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Re: should i let my preg dog sit in the sun?

Call the Vet to verify about pregnancy issues.

But my 11 yo male Lab-mix will sometimes go out in the 100 degree weather, after being cooped up in air conditioning all day, and fall asleep in the grass. After 5 - 10 min. of panting, he'll move to shade and I let him back in. But he has no interest in coming back in until he starts getting warm.

... of course, he's not pregnant :)

·
Registered
1,281 Posts

I feel like I know the answer but do you have a mentor? Perhaps a reputable breeder or at least anybody whose been through this before?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

yes i have a mentor etc... i'm just unsure about the hot weather as it can be cold and wet on min then within an hour wet and stormy and was not quite sure if the changes would do anything to her or the pups. i have another thread on here with more info about tilly.
i have qualifications in animal care. but with everything researched there are questions you don't think of till it happens.
i have my college notes and the book of the bitch and a vet on call. i have done the ultrasound and know she is having 5/6 puppies and will go back 2 weeks before the due date for another scan. i won't be x raying as it would mean exposing her to radiation.....so to ask again (without anyone suggesting i am a BYBer) will the sudden hot weather do anything to her or the pups?

i know not to leave her in hot cars or let her jump into cold water etc i'm just checking she will be ok

to the lab...i bet the grass was comfy ;)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
when i asked the question my mentor was in a meeting that lasted well into the night... i called her this morning and got my answer.
what is it about forums where they say if you have question about something...and when a person asks, even if it is just to confirm what they know, they get "yelled" down?
all you are going to do is scare beginners with questions in to not asking
go ahead...ask why i won't spay......
because the operation is really a hysterectomy where they remove ovaries and mess with the hormones.
you can quiz me on anything you like

i did my work experience at a breeders....the only experience i have with puppies is during the winter

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
A common mindset in passionate dog people is that beginners should not be breeding.

This forum, this thread especially, is quite tame. This forum in general is pretty accepting of new members. However with all the homeless dogs in the world it's hard to be super friendly and accepting to somebody who bred their dog and seems to be pretty clueless about it. Is your dog health tested and titled? If no than how do you know she is healthy and how do you know she is built right? If no than why breed her when there are so many homeless dogs and puppies. Why breed her when there are people who are breeding only stellar examples of the breed?

I could be wrong, sure, but in my experience - reputable breeders do not come to forums to discuss basic breeding questions.
Reputable breeders have spend YEARS doing their due diligence learning about the breed, their dogs, breeding in general, etc and they do this before breeding their first litter. At this point they have a circled of other reputable and knowledgeable breeders that they can go to for questions when questions arise.

·
Super Moderator
7,365 Posts
A common mindset in passionate dog people is that beginners should not be breeding.

This forum, this thread especially, is quite tame. This forum in general is pretty accepting of new members. However with all the homeless dogs in the world it's hard to be super friendly and accepting to somebody who bred their dog and seems to be pretty clueless about it. Is your dog health tested and titled? If no than how do you know she is healthy and how do you know she is built right? If no than why breed her when there are so many homeless dogs and puppies. Why breed her when there are people who are breeding only stellar examples of the breed?

I could be wrong, sure, but in my experience - reputable breeders do not come to forums to discuss basic breeding questions.
Reputable breeders have spend YEARS doing their due diligence learning about the breed, their dogs, breeding in general, etc and they do this before breeding their first litter. At this point they have a circled of other reputable and knowledgeable breeders that they can go to for questions when questions arise.
Very well said.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
i wonder how many people have wanted to get outside advice even if it is just to see if their mentor is giving correct advice and were put off in case they were accused of all sorts of things? and because they don't ask and blindly follow their mentor's advice only to loose their dog? i watched videos and live feeds of dog births including one who had 22 dogs 5 in pup 1 in labour for about 3 hours, the first pup was in the canal (just) i hear the words this is going too slow...injected oxytocin...and the girl had 4 in 1 min...and all the followers rounded on me when i asked if they were doing it too soon. so i signed up to the forum to double check and learn more. i want to make sure i'm not doing it wrong.

i did not come on here to be attacked....i can get that from yahoo answers....

i was concerned about the heat..... so i walk her early morning then keep her indoors with a couple of loo breaks.
is there a thread on here that helps new breeders with the smaller questions?
i have worked with dogs on and off for 20 years and am still learning
i should not have to defend myself but here goes..... i asked a health question. i did not want you to blindly attack me and accuse me of things i have not done. i have not accidently let her have puppies with the dog next door. i know the history of both dogs. the boy is smaller.she was in her 3rd season she is 2 years old. weighs 4.5 kg
i am in constant contact with a vet and the stud owner and have chosen a breed that is suitable for my lifestyle. i am now prepared for 10 dogs ...the scan showed at least 5. i just wanted to know if sunbathing would do anything to the developing puppies. if there is anyone who could have asked this when i posted feel free to do so but don't attack a person you cant see.

i had to travel a long way to find a good stud. the local owners replies when i asked stuff was wow what a cute dog i bet you could make £500 per pup easily she was 6 months at the time. i also had to change to an out of town vet after the local one said there is no profit in breeding and wanted to charge double for an emergency c section if she needs one.

·
Super Moderator
7,365 Posts
i wonder how many people have wanted to get outside advice even if it is just to see if their mentor is giving correct advice and were put off in case they were accused of all sorts of things? and because they don't ask and blindly follow their mentor's advice only to loose their dog? i watched videos and live feeds of dog births including one who had 22 dogs 5 in pup 1 in labour for about 3 hours, the first pup was in the canal (just) i hear the words this is going too slow...injected oxytocin...and the girl had 4 in 1 min...and all the followers rounded on me when i asked if they were doing it too soon. so i signed up to the forum to double check and learn more. i want to make sure i'm not doing it wrong.

i was concerned about the heat..... so i walk her early morning then keep her indoors with a couple of loo breaks.
i should not have to defend myself but here goes..... i asked a health question. i did not want you to blindly attack me and accuse me of things i have not done. i have not accidently let her have puppies with the dog next door. i know the history of both dogs. the boy is smaller.she was in her 3rd season she is 2 years old. weighs 4.5 kg
i am in constant contact with a vet and the stud owner and have chosen a breed that is suitable for my lifestyle. i am now prepared for 10 dogs ...the scan showed at least 5. i just wanted to know if sunbathing would do anything to the developing puppies. if there is anyone who could have asked this when i posted feel free to do so but don't attack a person you cant see.
No one has attacked you here, in fact people have been very restrained, particularly compared to most dog forums. Working with dogs for 20 years is wonderful, but still does not answer the question: Have you done the appropriate genetic health testing for your breed, proven that your female is in fact of breeding quality, and are you prepared to offer a written health guarantee and to take back any puppy at any time in it's life if it's owner can no longer care for it? If you cannot answer yes to these questions, than I'm sorry, but I will have to agree with PatchworkRobot that you really should not be breeding.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
This isnt anywhere near other posters attacking you. This thread has been VERY mild so far. What you need to understand is that many of the posters on this forum are involved in rescue. They're the ones that are holding innocent puppies as they're killed for no other reason than there simply arent enough homes. Of course they're going to question the breeding practice of someone asking some pretty beginner questions on a forum instead of going to their vet or mentor.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
i'll be screening possible owners and will take back any pup for any reason
and i am hoping one or more will become a hearing dog so the health has to be spot on.
i will be keeping one.
and the stud owner would like one.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
And. . .you didn't do any genetic health testing. Obviously, or you would have said so. Yay.

·
Registered
172 Posts
i'll be screening possible owners and will take back any pup for any reason
and i am hoping one or more will become a hearing dog so the health has to be spot on.
i will be keeping one.
and the stud owner would like one.
So HAVE you done any health testing? And I honestly don't think this mentor exists... What's their kennel name? Do they have a website we could look at?

·
Registered
468 Posts
when i asked the question my mentor was in a meeting that lasted well into the night... i called her this morning and got my answer.
what is it about forums where they say if you have question about something...and when a person asks, even if it is just to confirm what they know, they get "yelled" down?
all you are going to do is scare beginners with questions in to not asking
go ahead...ask why i won't spay......
because the operation is really a hysterectomy where they remove ovaries and mess with the hormones.
you can quiz me on anything you like

i did my work experience at a breeders....the only experience i have with puppies is during the winter
That is still a much better option than bringing in possibly unwanted puppies, especially since there was no testing done.

·
Registered
400 Posts

i had to travel a long way to find a good stud. the local owners replies when i asked stuff was wow what a cute dog i bet you could make £500 per pup easily she was 6 months at the time. i also had to change to an out of town vet after the local one said there is no profit in breeding and wanted to charge double for an emergency c section if she needs one.
There is no profit in breeding if you do it right. Maybe you'd come out slightly ahead depending on how large a litter, but your vet is right.

Could you possibly just send a link to your breed mentor?

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
A few points,
You SHOULDN'T WANT to get outside advice!!! You should have an established relationship of trust and understanding in your mentor which means you will listen to everything your greatly experienced and KNOWLEDGEABLE breed mentor has to say. You don't come on an internet forum and take our word over your supposed mentor. You dont know us from a bar of soap.
NO show titles, health testing or assurances from ANYONE?! This makes me physically sick. Have you even registered yourself and kennel name? Do you have owner contracts written up, do you have a website? Does your mentor have a website? Is your mentor even registered?
Last and most importantly.
BREEDING IS NOT FOR PROFIT!
Breeding is a passion and a huge risk on the breeders part. If your not breeding working dogs or dogs that you can think would make a valuable contribution to the gene pool and be fine examples of the breed. Then that alone gives me all my other answers. I commend your old vet in telling you the truth.
Other people may still be willing to talk nicely with you, but I couldn't care less if you think I am attacking you or not. I will stop there otherwise risk being banned.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i dont breed for profit . you miss read the vet accused me of breeding for profit. my mentor does not need a web page to be a breeder her name is none of your business... i have done the tests i have a library of books an experienced mentor and (as if 2 months before breeding) a very good vet. i only wanted to find out if sunbathing would do anything to the pups. well i'm another breeder who will be going under the radar of the people who can help even if it is just a few words to say ok...you are on the right track or...that is a fatal mistake. i worked in rescue kennels and breeding and boarding i have seen the good bad and ugly of it all. but i also know that it is hard to find good guide dogs for the hearing impared and i am hoping some of these pups will be suitable and if i get a second dog for myself i will be happy.

·
Registered
172 Posts
A few points,
You SHOULDN'T WANT to get outside advice!!! You should have an established relationship of trust and understanding in your mentor which means you will listen to everything your greatly experienced and KNOWLEDGEABLE breed mentor has to say. You don't come on an internet forum and take our word over your supposed mentor. You dont know us from a bar of soap.
NO show titles, health testing or assurances from ANYONE?! This makes me physically sick. Have you even registered yourself and kennel name? Do you have owner contracts written up, do you have a website? Does your mentor have a website? Is your mentor even registered?
Last and most importantly.
BREEDING IS NOT FOR PROFIT!
Breeding is a passion and a huge risk on the breeders part. If your not breeding working dogs or dogs that you can think would make a valuable contribution to the gene pool and be fine examples of the breed. Then that alone gives me all my other answers. I commend your old vet in telling you the truth.
Other people may still be willing to talk nicely with you, but I couldn't care less if you think I am attacking you or not. I will stop there otherwise risk being banned.
All of the above. And by the way the world doesn't need another BYB. But we'll never convince you because people like you never listen. Good luck ruining the Yorkshire Terrier breed.

i dont breed for profit . you miss read the vet accused me of breeding for profit. my mentor does not need a web page to be a breeder her name is none of your business... i have done the tests i have a library of books an experienced mentor and (as if 2 months before breeding) a very good vet. i only wanted to find out if sunbathing would do anything to the pups. well i'm another breeder who will be going under the radar of the people who can help even if it is just a few words to say ok...you are on the right track or...that is a fatal mistake. i worked in rescue kennels and breeding and boarding i have seen the good bad and ugly of it all. but i also know that it is hard to find good guide dogs for the hearing impared and i am hoping some of these pups will be suitable and if i get a second dog for myself i will be happy.
Only two months? How is that long enough to learn everything. And if you had such a great mentor you would be proud to share their Kennel name with us. Either she doesn't exist or is just another BYB.

So which of these have you done? http://www.caninehealthinfo.org/brdreqs.html?breed=YT

1 - 20 of 31 Posts