Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
In one week I'll bring home a pup (10 weeks old).
He will have only the first set of vaccines done and he will need to have 2 more sets in the next 6 weeks. We also have an old dog.

I have a few questions.
1. Should I keep the dogs in separate rooms until the pup gets all his vaccines?
2. Should I keep the old dog in the back yard so he won't bring home anything while the pup gets his vaccines (I walk the old dog every day in the neighborhood)
3. Can I walk the pup in the neighborhood?

What can I do to reduce to a minimum the chances for the pup to contact any virus or other disease during his first 3 month of life?

Thank you.

·
Registered
549 Posts
If your old dog is vaccinated, there is really not much risk.

No for walks, besides at that age a puppy really doesn't need walks.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
1. If your older dog is fully vaccinated, then that isn't necessary.

2. There probably isn't much risk of the puppy picking up anything that way. It really depends on your area. Most diseases can't really be transferred that way, but parvo can. Your vet will know about the risks in your specific area.

3. Again, talk to your vet. Some areas have more risk than others. It's usually safer to stick to your property, or only interact with dogs you know who have been vaccinated. Areas where there is a high risk of parvo, the disease can stick to the grass or the soil where a dog has eliminated, so if your puppy where to lick it or something they could potentially get that.

Some basic safety things, don't let the pup interact with unknown dogs. Fully vaccinated dogs, fine. Avoid high dog traffic areas like dog parks or pet stores, although many people will disinfect a cart or something and put the pup in a basket and wheel them around, keeping them off the ground. If you know someone has had parvo in their household, don't let your pup go there because it lives for up to a year. Again, talk to your vet about specific diseases that are prevalent in your area. In some places you can go just about anywhere, and others you want to very strictly control where your pup goes.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

3. Some areas have more risk than others.
Thank you. Do you know a reliable website that keeps track of these areas? I am sure my vet will know but an extra caution can't hurt.
Thanks again

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Thank you. Do you know a reliable website that keeps track of these areas? I am sure my vet will know but an extra caution can't hurt.
Thanks again
No, not really, the vet is usually the most reliable source. Sometimes outbreaks are reported in the news in my area, but it is sporadic coverage at best, so I rely on my vet.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts