Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So tonight on our first walk in a REALLY long time, we ran in to some nefarious characters. One whom i'd bet a weeks wages, had just done a drug deal right in front of us, She started talking to me about my dog, and the hair on his back went straight up and i'm pretty sure i heard a very very low growl coming from him. He did it again to some thuglifeyo type guy who was eyeing me. I didn't see any teeth or anything, but the hair went up and the low growl came back.

I'm guessing his innate protective instinct was showing?

He is a 1yr old Lab/Probably chow mix...

·
Registered
705 Posts
Should have done something what? I guess I don't understand your question lol...

My dog is very very friendly with people. At night, she is a bit more standoffish and wary. One time I walked by a creepy dude just standing in a driveway at about 11:40pm who was definitely giving me a weird feeling. (We took late walks in the summer cause it was cooler). Anyways, she let off a low growl and her hackles went up when we walked by him and we just kept walking. Once we got out of earshot I told her she was a good girl.

If your dog is normally friendly with people but just in this instance did that, I would not be concerned. I would be concerned if he starts exhibiting this kind of behavior to "normal" civilians out on walks though.

If it's at night and people come up to me I just say, "Oh please don't come any closer. She is aggressive towards people." I figure that will stop anyone looking for trouble.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah we walked by a bunch of people, kids, and dogs and Lucky really didn't react, just kinda stared for a second and kept going. He loves people, a bit too much in most instances... 60# lap-dog!

·
Registered
705 Posts
Haha, I hear you. I have the same.

My whole "she's aggressive" pitch to keep away weirdos only works if her tail isn't wagging a mile a minute. :doh:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Most people won't go near him when he is leashed up, prong collar and a chain as a back up. most people think he is aggressive, but he'd much rather clean your ears and nose than eat your face...

·
Registered
7,226 Posts
This might sound funny, but I trust my dog's instincts when it comes to people! He's the biggest goofball ever, loves everyone he meets... But more than once I've seen him curl his lips and raise his hackles at a 'sketchy' looking person. And when I say sketchy I mean I am judging this person by the way he dresses, the time of day he's walking on the streets, his manner of walking etc. I have no idea what Soro is judging by, what he smelt/felt/saw in these characters.

Either way, my people-loving dog decided not to like this person that has done nothing but walk by us. I'm inclined to believe that there's something under the surface that we humans can't detect. I usually just say "Be nice!" or something totally useless... But in reality I'm alright with my dog being this way. I don't see it being a problem as long as your dog's not lunging towards random people on the street or actually hurting them, which she doesn't seem to be doing :D

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
So tonight on our first walk in a REALLY long time, we ran in to some nefarious characters. One whom i'd bet a weeks wages, had just done a drug deal right in front of us, She started talking to me about my dog, and the hair on his back went straight up and i'm pretty sure i heard a very very low growl coming from him. He did it again to some thuglifeyo type guy who was eyeing me. I didn't see any teeth or anything, but the hair went up and the low growl came back.

I'm guessing his innate protective instinct was showing?

He is a 1yr old Lab/Probably chow mix...
Yes, you should have done something, a trip to the local butcher shop, purchase of a steak of your choice and a steak dinner for your growling rascal.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I believe some dogs have instinct gut feelings like we do. There is sometimes I get this feeling like I need to leave a situation and truly believe not listening to it could have gotten me into some mess a few times.

My mastiff was a sweet and sensitive boy who never really growls or bares teeth and he's only barked a few times. Once I was out on a summer night alone and there was this guy who was kinda ahead of us on the streets and was kinda pacing nervously in place with hands in his hoodie pockets and his face was obscured by the hood and they had a hat on under that. My dog went in front of me and stopped me from going that way and was growling low. My dog wanted to leave so we crossed the street. I think the guy was walking behind us since I can hear steps and no one was really out even though this was a metro area of NYC. I knew of a late night coffee shop so I went towards that for safety and because I didnt want to be followed home. We ran in and told them we were being followed. I called my guy roommates to come pick me and our dog up and after that they wouldn't let me walk around near the park at night alone. And they bought me a taser.

Another time in LA my boy did the same thing, growled and pushed to be in front of me when we passed by this guy on his yard. This guy was skeevy like and was just kinda staring at my boobs, but I didn't think he would do anything to us, just a typical young guy. I just walked away when normally I say hi when we move into a new neighborhood to everyone. Well, I like to know who my neighbors are and I looked up the local crime rates and registry and this guy turned up as a level 3, violent sexual offender. It was one convicted crime, but it's telltale to me and wondered about girls who haven't spoken up. He threw parties a few times and I always worried about the girls who might be date raped. He invited all his neighbors but I couldn't bring myself to ever go. And my Mastiff would drag me to cross the street to avoid that house and of course I listen unless I want my face studded with asphalt. He did that with a few houses though, even though we never met who lived there, but I trusted something wasn't right.

He was an amazing dog. This makes me miss him...aww!

My current dogs couldn't spot the devil even if his arse was bright red so I don't believe all dogs have this trait. Pugs are a lot more childlike in their love of people than a mastiff.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts