Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought some supplements for Buddy. He is a miniature poodle, 8 years old, and weighs 15 lbs.

I have taken him twice to the vet during the past 6 months. The first time I took him was because he was on the very top of my couch which is about 3ft2in in height, and then he saw a cat so when he jumped down I heard him cry/yelp. I don't know if he landed wrong, he sprained his ankle or a joint, or maybe a disc problem but he was still walking (slowly) and he even jumped on the couch to lie on my lap. He was shaking very bad though so I don't know if it was the pain or he was scared. The next day was when he got worst. He got fever, he would just have a blank stare, and he looked very pale. I seriously thought that I might lose him so I took him to the vet the next day. The vet basically diagnosed everything above and administered Ramadyl, arthritis meds, and pain meds.

Buddy got better but 1 month later he started having the same symptoms. He would look pale, his eyes staring at nothing, and would not look up at me. My toy poodle Dixie started humping on his head and he yelped. Turns out it was a neck injury. I took him to the vet again and the treatment was pretty much the same as the first one.

I would have loved to do X-Rays or MRI's but those things are wayyy out of my league... too expensive.

Thank God that he is much better. I still take precautionary measures though like I bought 2 ottomans to help my dog jump into the bed. If he gets on top of that couch I try to discourage him not to and carry him down. Sometimes he'll just run up to the top of the couch and then jump down if he sees a cat. I really can't help that. BTW that one time he hurt himself from the couch he was asleep so maybe he didn't stretch or didn't calculate the height he had jumped down from since had just woken up.
I purchased these for Buddy (Cosequin Double Strength Plus MSM Joint Health Dog Supplement) http://www.petco.com/product/113739/Cosequin-Double-Strength-Plus-MSM-Joint-Health-Dog-Supplement.aspx?CoreCat=OnSiteSearch Everything I’ve read online says to always consult your vet before administering any type of supplements to your dog. Do I really have to consult my vet? Buddy seems pretty healthy for the most part. The only things I've noticed about him is that when he's in bed and he's changing positions, he'll make like this light straining sound (Dixie does it too and she's 7 yr. old toy poodle). Once in a while when he tries to jump on my couch he will mistime his jump or end up short. The jump is about 2 feet tall.

Do you'll think it's safe to give these Consequin tablets for Buddy? I guess I will call my vet and ask. The worst he will say is NO? Can any harm be done by taking these tablets if Buddy is healthy (which I doubt)? I would like to hear your opinions please. It's been about a months and half since the neck injury.
This is what the instructions say: The recommended initial administration period is four to six weeks; however, some dogs may respond in a shorter period of time. The number of scored chewable tablets may then be reduced to the maintenance level.

Once consistent improvement has been seen, these maintenance levels may be reduced to an every other day administration. The maintenance level can also be used long term on healthy dogs to help support their joints.

Sorry about my very long thread folks.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts