Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello.
A couple of days ago I was at the vet with my bichon mix dog because she's having a lot of gas problems. And a lady came in asking if anyone is willing to take a 6 months old female husky because she's moving to a small apartment. And she doesn't want to take her to the shelter. I asked the vet about the husky and he told me that she's in good condition. So i went to see her and damn she's so cute. I really want to take her but i live in a small apartment also. I am a college student and i have to be at school 5 to 8 hours for 5 days every week.
I can jog with her an hour or 2 a day. Is it enough exercies for a husky living in a small apartment.
And woundering if she is going to be happy with me and my bichon dog

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Weren't you having issues with your newly acquired dog? I'd say no...puppies take a lot of work. And if you are already dealing with problems with your current dog, you probably want to sort those out first.

·
Registered
168 Posts
but taking another dog might help other issues your current dog is having! Expecially if it's seperation anxiety or distruction..........not to say the two dogs might not get distructive together. They are both pups.

If you can provide a husky with sufficient exercise I say yes......if you truly and honestly can't you are going to have more on your plate then you can handle as without sufficient exercise they will find amazing was to get that energy out..........most will have to do with you no longer having any possessions or walls or floors within your house.

Really think about this before you say yes. Huskys are VERY different from a Bichon.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Huskies are high energy, intelligent dogs that get bored easily if they don't have a job or lots of exercise. They are also independent/stubborn. They LOVE to roam, and can climb high fences. They can be very destructive if bored or not exercised enough.

They're wonderful, but do require a certain type of owner willing to give them what they need.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Looking at your past posts about your bichon, I wouldn't add a husky. They are very demanding dogs and it sounds like you have your hands full already. It also sounds like a Husky might not fit with your lifestyle.

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
I would pass on this. I know that is hard. Darn dogs are CUTE when they are puppies! Huskies are real cute.

Still and all.. it is a LOT to take on. Get your Bichon sorted out and trained. Give yourself a year or two with the dog you have.. and then if you want a second dog, get one.

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
I'm sorry, but I happened to be browsing another dog forum this morning, and you were making a post about your "damn stupid dog" (not my words) that you spend "$900 on for nothing". And then you go on to say you hit your dog. I'm pretty sure it was you, since it was a Deadly Eyes with a bichon mix you picked up.

I am hoping you have settled down now and that your bichon mix is happy. But if one dog like that can get you worked up in such a manner, please don't get another dog.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Wow...you're right. Same sentence structure, and his phrase she'd rather die choking than stop pulling in this post is the same as a thread he started on this board.

Deadly Eyes, you should probably not own a dog. If you're hitting a bichon and punishing the dog by not taking it for walks, you're just not cut out for dog ownership.

·
Registered
35 Posts
my 'stepson' is a Malamute and I can tell you, we had issues leaving him in the house when we went to uni. He pretty much destroyed our leather couches, he weed everywhere, and he sheds hair like a yeti shaving. If a husky is anything like this then be prepared.... He is 8 months now and pretty much the same, but housetrained.

·
Registered
750 Posts
You have a small apartment.. didn't the lady who wanted to give it away have a small place too? Plus.. THAT is the reason she wants to give it away.

Huskies need at least 45 minutes per walk, 3 times a day.. alot of shedding, high prey drive, so they can or can't get along with smaller dog breeds..
And alot more thing i can tell you to drive you away from a Husky!:p

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
Huskies can do just fine in apartments or small houses.

As far as my dogs are concerned, my whole house is a 12x12 square with a small backyard. :rolleyes: It's not like they are going to be running laps in a bigger house.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Huskies can do just fine in apartments or small houses.

As far as my dogs are concerned, my whole house is a 12x12 square with a small backyard. :rolleyes: It's not like they are going to be running laps in a bigger house.
That's because you give them physical and mental stimulation..(physical as in plenty of exercise:eek:) and you are a superman :)

Did you read his post on the other forum..and yes...that is him...

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
Seems like the OP has developed a knack for starting threads, getting responses he or she doesn't like, and not coming back to acknowledge the other posters.

Deadly eyes, I would not add a Husky. You live in a relatively non-dog-friendly country, from what you've posted, and a Husky will potentially need more things than a small Bichon. Since you are so frustrated with your Bichon, I suggest you focus on training (and loving) that dog for now instead of multiplying your ill feelings by taking on another huge responsibility.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Ditto all of the above. I haven't read your previous posts but am now interested in what you're about. I'm a reasonably experienced dog owner, been an instructor at my local dog obedience club since '96. An I would never get a husky. No matter how cute they are.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
I. 1 dog gooooood, 2 dogs 1 step the other side of insanity for some people and dogs.
2. How do you hit a Bichon(carefully) but why. If you hit a Bichon with hand, newspaper, fist, flyswatter etc etc. With a 6 month old Husky you will need a steel bar, brass knuckles, police baton or just to make hitting easier, how bout some Num-Chucks.:eek: I'm just trying to help you get your new training aids so life will be better for you. This way the Husky will have a short but exciting albeit cruel life.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts