Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there. I'm not sure if I'm in the correct forum but here it is.

I had a dog, a Golden Retriever I call Keanna. She was supposed to be killed by some vagrants in our neighborhood to be eaten during their beer-drinking session. She was just a puppy back then. Good thing our nanny saved her and brought her home. Me on the other hand was bitten when I was seven and had a phobia for dogs ever since. At first I was afraid of her and want her out of the house. But soon I learned how loveable this creatures are and it time, I got over my fear of the. Keanna helped me. She was very loyal to our family and fun to be with. From that day on, I know that dogs really are man's best friends.

When I graduated from college and started working and start living on my own near my workplace, I miss the companionship of furry animals (we had about 7 cats and Keanna back home). Worse, big dogs like her aren't allowed in my new place. I was also afraid of bringing a cat even if its allowed because they may jump off the balcony(i'm exaggerating) and it would be depressed without its brothers and sisters.

My problem is should i get a new pet? A dog preferably. I still can't move to another place where they allow all sizes of dogs because of the expenses (i'm still a junior programmer and am currently helping on my family's expenses.)

Please advise me. :) Thanks

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Small dogs can be just as wonderful companions as large dogs. If you have the time, money and ability to properly care for a dog, why not get one?

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
I love big dogs ... always have and have always had larger than life dogs. But in the last 6 years I have had small dogs and am beginning to like them even more! They are easier to lift, to bathe, fit in the bed better :) and do not eat as much and potty smaller spots.

I would go for a small dog. You may be surprised how much you like them! I sure was!

·
Registered
321 Posts
Small dogs can be as loving and rewarding as a big dog, IMHO. Some breeds are more friendly than others, though, and all breeds need to be properly socialized and cared for.

I know small dogs get a bad rap for being prissy and moody, but I believe any dog has the ability to be a great companion if you have the time and dedication to educate it right. Besides, Abbylynn is completely right: lifting, bathing, space managing, expenses and potty scooping is made easier with a small dog.

Do spend some time thinking about what you want in a dog and what sort of breed would fit what you want.
Consider how much time and money you want to spend on grooming, how much energy you'd like him/her to have, how friendly you want it to be toward strangers and how easy to train do you want them to be. Also, most small dogs have to have their teeth brushed frequently.

I personally love Maltese dogs, they are hard to groom, and can outsmart you when training, tho... but they will love anyone (except my youngest brother, no animal will ever love my youngest brother). They are just born to please people. Just make sure people don't step on them when you walk them >.<;; Thanks to my mum's Maltese I am now deadly afraid of women in stilettos.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. For me, breed doesn't really matter. I was planning to adopt a small one from one of the rescue society in our country. Hope he will be my best bud and i promise to give him a full and healthy life. :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had a dog, a Golden Retriever I call Keanna. She was supposed to be killed by some vagrants in our neighborhood to be eaten during their beer-drinking session.

WTF?
hi Roloni. Yes, this country is full of shit-heads. I don't know why they do this to dogs. If I have the resources, I want these people jailed. We reported it to our local authority but then the problem is, they said it was not their concern. We have PAWS (Philippine Animal Welfare Society) here in our country which helps rescuing these poor creatures. I was planning to adopt a dog or two from them instead so I could give help at least. Sorry if my post offended you in any way. hope you understand.. :)

·
Banned
6,240 Posts
When my mom's family was stationed in the Phillipines when she was a child, they had a Weimaraner. She has told me this story countless times--the maid, thinking the dog was meant for meat, killed and cooked it without their knowing, and my mom ate her dog for dinner! She didn't find out until afterwards--I'm sure she was disgusted and heartbroken.

Anyway, you absolutely should look into getting a small dog! I'm a big dog person myself, but after my mom acquired two Dachshunds that I was endeared to immediately, I wanted a small dog of my own. In came Roxie, and she's the best thing that's ever happened to me! A small dog is just so much more portable, easier to handle and train (because there's less risk of injury if your dog suddenly sees a cat it likes!), fun to cuddle, and etc.! Beware though, you will get such the bad comments--"that's not a dog, that's a rat!" "my dog could eat your dog for lunch" and etc., as well as people thinking it's okay to pick your dog up without asking. But it's worth it!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Kayota.

Yes these incidents made another bad mark to my country's reputation. Anyway. I'm planning to get 2 teacup Yorkshires (that's what they said) from the rescue home. From their looks, they seem to be less than a year old or so. I don't know what is wrong with the owner and she/he left them on the street. I hope I could get them or at least a rightful owner would give them love and care (glad that many people are adopting from rescue homes). Thanks for the response people. :)

·
Banned
6,240 Posts
Just so you know, I definitely don't judge everyone in your country by that one experience my mom had. There was an exchange student from the Philippines in my high school and she was sweet and very nice, and definitely not a dog eater.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just so you know, I definitely don't judge everyone in your country by that one experience my mom had. There was an exchange student from the Philippines in my high school and she was sweet and very nice, and definitely not a dog eater.
yes. thanks. me too. sometimes its hard to find animal-lover back here. i just hate dog-eaters. I mean come on. there's fish and chicken and stuff. Anyway. Thanks for understanding. :)

·
Registered
321 Posts
Beware though, you will get such the bad comments--"that's not a dog, that's a rat!" "my dog could eat your dog for lunch" and etc., as well as people thinking it's okay to pick your dog up without asking. But it's worth it!
^This is so true.

This one time, when we first got the Maltese, my neighbor was taking care of her friend's pet rat and she came to our house in order to see whether the rat was bigger than our dog. ^^;; (we won by an inch!)

Yorkshire terriers are adorable! I know people who've had them. They tend to be very sociable and run around a lot. Good luck with them!

·
Banned
6,240 Posts
I actually have pet rats and let me tell you, they're sweet as can be... but it's the insinuation of something "bad" or "ugly" that gets me whether I like rats or not!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts