Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently had the pleasure of babysitting a 1 year old Brazilian Terrior dog for 4 days and three nights. I really enjoyed working on his training, taking him for a daily walk, and cuddling with him at night. I really felt satisfaction from making him tired enough to relax for a couple hours, and from working with him on his training (he is a willful dog). And the love he gives is amazing. He is a very, very affectionate and energetic dog. I never thought I would like an energetic dog because I'm quite the opposite of that, but I did feel a sense of accomplishment after taking him on long walks, and getting him to obey me. I did not enjoy getting out of bed to take him outside or when he was annoying and wanted constant attention when I was busy, but I think I can handle it. I survived two baby humans, although I am older now p. Since he's been gone (a couple weeks) I really miss him and I find myself wanting a dog like him so badly. I was looking online today and found a Fox terrier puppy for sale. A female and soooo cute. I was looking for a male because the dog I babysat is a male, but I'm considering this puppy because personality-wise theres no difference, right? I do have another dog, a chihuahua that we got while we were still in an apartment, so I'm not totally new to dogs, and am also doing research on fox terriers. I also have a cat and two teenage girls. We live on a busy street in the country (weird right) but have a medium sized fenced in yard. I would be able to take her on walks almost every day. I also plan on crate training. I know all the basics on pottry training, health, nutrition, etc, I'm just wondering If I'm really ready for this type of dog (I think I am) or if this is considered an impulse thing.

eta: I think I left out some important info although maybe it doesn't make a difference. My husband and I and our daughters had planned on getting a 2nd, bigger dog after 6 months of moving into our new home (we were limited in size before because of living in an apartment). So its not exactly an impulse thing, I'm just wanting to move up the deadline, and going for a more energetic dog than I expected, although hubby is fine with energetic dogs all along. (and husband is agreeing so far).

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Four days is different from 15 years. You say you don't like getting out of bed or dealing with him when you're busy and that was just 4 days. How are you going to feel 6 months in to 15 years?

To be honest, this is how dogs end up getting passed from home to home or dumped in shelters. Their owner can manage enthusiasm because of the novelty for a short period of time, then the newness wears off and the dog becomes this annoying thing they can't deal with anymore.

If you are going to buy a puppy, please buy from an ethical breeder. Put aside the soooooo cute factor and do the right thing. If you buy from a back yard breeder or puppy mill, you are helping to continue the abuse of animals. This is how the mothers are treated. You don't want to pay for that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply! To clarify, I honestly don't think anyone ENJOYS getting out of bed to potty train their dog, or being pestered when they are busy. I didn't enjoy potty training my current dog. By admitting I don't enjoy it I'm acknowledging that its all not going to be a bed of roses all the time. It isn't with my current dog either whom I've had almost 2 years. You are right, 4 days is not a long time. Also, to clarify, I will not buy a dog only because its cute. It is cute though so why not mention it :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think I left out some important info although maybe it doesn't make a difference. My husband and I and our daughters had planned on getting a 2nd, bigger dog after 6 months of moving into our new home (we were limited in size before because of living in an apartment). So its not exactly an impulse thing, I'm just wanting to move up the deadline, and going for a more energetic dog than I expected, although hubby is fine with energetic dogs all along. (and husband is agreeing so far).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts