Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I am having a bit of a rough time because I recently said no to taking in a foster dog. Here is the story...

I got my lab mix puppy back in June, and he is currently 9 months old. He is really sweet and I love him! This morning, while I was browsing Craigslist, I happened to see my dog's BROTHER (named Odin) being given away for free by his owners! I had never met his owners (each puppy in the litter went to a different family). Of course my heart went out to Odin because I am sure he is such a sweet dog and he is really beautiful.

However, Odin's owner wanted to give him away within the next 24 hours because she was moving into a "no pets allowed" apartment TOMORROW. Basically, she waited until the very last minute to try to find Odin a good home. I was completely unprepared to take in a second dog so soon. Along with this, I found out that Odin's owners never had him neutered, and hadn't had his shots done at the vet (a cousin did them). I really did not have enough money to spend on all the shots and his surgery. So, I had to say no to taking in this poor dog who happens to be my puppy's brother.

I feel really awful about this. I know it's not my fault because I am a responsible dog owner and I would never give my dog away like that. However, Odin's owner made me feel really guilty (as if this was somehow my fault) and I feel bad because I wish I had more resources to take Odin in and give him a forever home.

I am going to keep tabs on where Odin's owners place him, and make sure nothing bad happens to him. Still, it doesn't feel like enough!

It is SO hard to turn these poor animals away sometimes, but my only hope is that Odin will find a great home with someone who has the resources to take great care of him.

I just thought I would look here for a little advice, and maybe some words of wisdom. :redface:

·
Registered
11,279 Posts
No, I don't think you should ever feel guilty for not fostering a dog. For one, your primary responsibility is to your own dog and it might not be in his best interests to have another random dog in the house or taking up your time. Two, you might not have the money or the time or even the emotional ability.

That said, if you were able in terms of time and space to take in this (or another) dog, you could probably start calling rescues and asking for the dog to be officially taken as one of their rescues on condition that you foster him. Neutering isn't an immediate health issue if you can keep him away from females in heat and many vets work for a discount with local organized rescues. The shots ARE an immediate kind of thing (at least rabies and then any core shots he needs... having a non-vet do the shots is fine in many areas for everything except rabies), but like I said, many rescues have arrangements with vets and either they could afford to pay for him OR you could pay at their lowered rate.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Never feel guilty for knowing when to say "No". Everyone has a limit but not everyone recognizes it, or are afraid to say "no", and end up in over their head. Kudos to you for knowing and recognizing your limits.

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
Never feel guilty for knowing when to say "No". Everyone has a limit but not everyone recognizes it, or are afraid to say "no", and end up in over their head. Kudos to you for knowing and recognizing your limits.
.....^ This ^......^...... Where is the " Like " button! :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you...

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. My greatest hope is that Odin will now have the opportunity to find the best forever home possible, instead of staying with me temporarily and then having to leave because I don't have the right resources for him.

Saying "no" can be so difficult sometimes (especially if your heart goes out to a certain animal). But you are right, Reynosa, you have to make sure you pay attention to your personal limits and not spread yourself too thin. I just wish dog owners could be more responsible and not try to find a new home for their dogs at the very last minute. I guess all I can do this time is be the best dog owner I can be for my own puppy!

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Re: Thank you...

Don't feel guilty. You have to take care of you and your dog first. Putting yourself at risk by stretching your finances, which puts your dog at risk, too, isn't helping anyone. You didn't do anything wrong. You have a dog you're taking good care of. The fact that someone else isn't as responsible isn't your fault.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts