Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. How is everyone?

My dogs are over 10 years old. One is a golden retriever & the other is a miniature pinscher. The golden retriever is average weight, definitely not overweight. The min pin is a little overweight but not obese.

All my dog's life they have been fed one time per day for as long as I can remember. Their bowls are left out for however long it takes them to eat the food. I do not think this is good. I want to start feeding them twice a day, once in the morning & once at night so they have enough energy throughout the day.

My father told me that is not a good idea but he is not a veterinarian nor does he really care about the dogs. My parent's way of thinking when it comes to my (the family dogs but I'm the only one who cares about them) dogs is "well, they've lived a good life." Which frustrates me very much. I want my dogs to live the happiest last few years of their live.

What do you guys suggest? Keep their feeding habit as it or change it to twice a day?

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
How long does it take them to eat the food? The reason you feed large dogs multiple times per day is to help prevent bloat. With really small dogs, it's to prevent hypoglycemia. If the golden is eating the bowl over the course of the day, he's naturally preventing bloat, and the minpin is probably too big for hypoglycemia.

Honestly, with old dogs, if ain't broke, don't fix it.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Agree, leave the feeding as it is. Put your hands on the dogs regularly to be sure weight isn't changing rapidly up or down though. With food left down it isn't always easy to tell who is eating what.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It takes my dogs approximately 30 minutes to an hour to eat all the food in their bowls then from there they don't eat until the next day at the same time. That is a whole 20 or so hours without eating. Which doesn't seem like enough food to me. It definitely doesn't take them the whole day or even half the day to eat all their food. They are fed at approximately 5 PM everyday. I'm just worried that they are not getting enough energy throughout the day because they only eat once a day. To be quite honest with guys I didn't even know about hypoglycemia or bloating. They get a good portion of food when fed.

Do you guys think they should be fed earlier or later than 5 PM?

Also, so keep the feeding to once a day or switch it to twice per day? (Now that I have given more information)

Also these are my family dogs. I live with my parents and I feel that it is my duty to step up to the plate now & start taking real good care of these dogs because nowadays no one seems to care about them but me. They are old & I want them to live as long as they possibly can (of course without suffering though) & be as happy as can be.

Thank you all so much for the replies. I sincerely appreciate it Kathyy & Amarlyllis. If you guys need any more information to further give me advice or tips I would gladly tell more about their feeding habit. Again, THANK YOU! I love my dogs. Have a great day. Bye for now.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Just my opinion but I haven't fed my dogs only once a day for years. I like to eat more than once so why shouldn't my dog.

But with that said I give my dog the appropriate amount of food divided by approximately 2. Zoey gets 1 1/4 cups of food a day split into 1/2 cup and 3/4 cup. And of course she gets treats during the day as well.

Would your dogs benefit from feeding twice a day? Maybe but they are used to eating once a day and changing up may cause issues.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Dogs Ive fed once per day have been fine. They had plenty of energy to bounce off the walls, climb chain link fences and avoid being caught (from a 10+ year old Collie/GSD mix), normal family stuff...
Buster, my 6 1/2 year old Saint, eats twice per day. It's what he has grown up doing so what he's used to. With him, feeding once per day is not an option. He requires 4 cups of food per day, more than Im comfortable feeding at once due to the risk of bloat. As a puppy he ate even more so there were times he'd be fed 3 or 4 times per day.

From what Ive seen with my own dogs, quality of food makes more of a difference than how many times they're fed. Just like us, if we're eating take-out from the local fast food places all day we're not getting what we need. So we can eat forever and still feel sluggish. I know living with your parents its not something you control. So do the best with what (products & information!) you have. No matter what you're feeding....give them you. Walks, play, brushing, snuggles. YOU are more important to them than "stuff".

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hello everyone. How are you all? Sorry that I am late with my reply, I was out of town for a couple days with my family.

It seems that the general consensus is to keep the feeding habit as is in order to not cause any health issues.

I will continue to feed them once per day but also give them more treats as well as do exact measurements of food per dog's weight. In the past when I fed my dogs I would only fill up the bowls guessing on how much food I thought was appropriate for them.

My golden retriever weights approximately 70-90 pounds if I had to guess.

My miniature pinscher weights approximately 8-12 pounds if I had to guess.

LuvMyAngels, what you said, "quality of food makes more of a difference than how many times they're fed. Just like us, if we're eating take-out from the local fast food places all day we're not getting what we need." Seems to make a lot of sense. The brand of food my dogs eat is a generic Publix brand that my parents buy for them. I don't know if that is sufficient enough for them but if it is not I will give my folks extra money so they can buy a better quality brand of food. Just wondering, but what are some brands that you personally would suggest? If it is a difference of a mere $10-20 or so I would be more than happy to get the better brand/better quality dog food.

Thank you all so much. As you can probably tell by now I know nothing about dog's health... I have to admit, during my dog's early years I didn't pay too much attention to their general well-being. Which I feel very bad for now. I am trying to do my best nowadays to make sure that they get the appropriate attention & nourishment that they deserve to have.

I said this in another thread that I made but I realize now that it is better to maintain than to try to repair.

Have a good day everyone. Bye for now. :)

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
A quick Google search only came up the it is made by Mars and it has no wheat, corn or soy. It could be good food or it could be garbage without knowing the ingredients. Mars makes a few foods just like Purina and other big companies so its hard to tell where this food lies.

Depending on how expensive it is there could be alternatives. Also, depending on the ingredients you may be able to get a better quality food for the same price. But with all that said - all that matters is that if your dogs are doing well on what they eat no reason to change. Since your dogs are older maybe adding a little extra protein would be a good idea IF your dogs are healthy enough to have that extra protein. I used to give my last dog roasted chicken quarter meat in her food to entice her to eat.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
I don't know if you have found dogaware.com in your internet searching for information, you might check it out if you haven't already. Loads of information on feeding any dog any sort of food, loads of information on old dogs and sick dogs.

Adding some fresh food to the kibble would be fine too. See dogaware for how tos. You don't have to go crazy expensive doing add ins either. An egg split between the two dogs, a small can of sardines or mackerel or herring, make broth from cooked or raw bones and veggie scraps. Just go slow doing any changes as dogs are getting old and have been fine on what they were getting.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hello Dog Person & Kathyy. Good afternoon to both of you.

I like the idea of adding fresh food (hard boiled eggs & chicken) to the "kibble" (I assume this means dry dog food) because it is fairly cheap & at this current time period in my life I am not financially stable. Before I do this though I will research on dogaware.com the amounts I put in the "kibble" & what kind of fresh food is suitable for my older dogs. One of the dogs, the golden retriever, has a form of dog arthritis I believe. That is what my parents said that the vet said. The other dog, the min pin, seems to be able to get around & go on walks more at ease than the golden retriever.

Thank you everyone!

·
Registered
693 Posts
How much are you feeding them? Maybe thats some of it too. You said the min pin is overweight, have you cut back on the food and upped the walks?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Since I started posting on this forum I cut back on her feeding. To be completely honest with you, these two dogs have not been walked habitually ever in their life time. I am ashamed to say so... but I am starting to take them on walks but I need to start slow. Perhaps a couple times around the perimeter of the house until their tolerance builds up. The Golden Retriever has a form of dog arthritis I believe.

:(

1 - 12 of 12 Posts