Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Faolan, our 1 year old husky, has always been skinny. I realize this could just be because he is still young and, like most huskies, has a lot of energy, but we think he might be a little TOO skinny. We've been feeding him 2 cups of Earthborn Grain Free foods (changing flavors with each new bag) and he gets treats every day, probably around 4 or 5 pieces of salmon jerky that are about an inch and a half long, an inch wide. He will also get PB Kongs once in a while. So we're not starving him, obviously. He still just looks really skinny to me and to a lot of people. We get comments all the time. He has thick husky fur so it's not really obvious, but when you pet him his ribs and spine are easily felt. He weighs around 55lbs but is pretty tall. Here are some pictures:

Pardon the dog park dirt. But do you see his hip bones sticking out? Should they?

So, do you think I should up the amount of kibble he eats? If so, by how much? Do you think he might still flesh out with age, that this skinny state is just because he is still very young? Or do you think he looks fine and that I just worry too much?

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
How tall is he? 55 would be an ideal weight for an in-standard Siberian. Between 1 and 2 pups really fill out, also.

I like this chart personally when gauging weight:

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Umm, not exactly sure where to measure to so I just put the end of the tape measure on the floor next to his front foot and snapped a picture:

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
That's pretty fantastic!

Looks like 24/24 and some change. Honestly I'm not a huge fan of protruding hip bones (unless those are odd tufts of fur lol) - which I see in the second picture but from the first picture he just looks like a super lean dog.
per the standard 60 would be max ideal weight for a 23" dog. You could probably add on 5 maybe even 10 pounds just to give a little more cushion and be perfectly fine.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
I'd up his intake by 1/2 cup a day and see if he looks less bony in a couple weeks. Then if he still needs more meat on his bones I'd up it another 1/2 cup. Honestly, I'd expect a young active dog that size to eat at least 3 cups of a high-quality kibble a day anyway.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Honestly, I'd expect a young active dog that size to eat at least 3 cups of a high-quality kibble a day anyway.
Siberian's don't eat as much food as other breeds/dogs of the same size. It's how they were bred.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Personally, I would keep an eye on him and monitor his activity level and behavior, if they remain Normal I wouldn't worry. Although, if you feel more comfortable adding a quarter to a half a cup per feeding shouldn't hurt... I believe 60-65 lbs is about average for an adult male Husky.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Thanks for posting the chart Niraya - my vet said my dog was a "6" last time we were in and I forgot to ask what she meant. Must have been this. The vet said to cut back on her calories a bit, which we've done. At 6.5 the weight comes off slowly, which is why I would advise the OP to leave things be with Faolan. If he's like our girl, he will fill out on his own. There is some evidence that dogs fed to be on the slightly lean side live longer and experience delay in the onset of illness.

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
There is some evidence that dogs fed to be on the slightly lean side live longer and experience delay in the onset of illness.
Just like people!

But yeah, to me, he looks like a skinny teenager, and you can't see his ribs from the side which is good. He'll probably fill out some more, but if you're still concerned like everyone else has said try feeding a bit more food per day.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Personally, I would keep an eye on him and monitor his activity level and behavior, if they remain Normal I wouldn't worry. Although, if you feel more comfortable adding a quarter to a half a cup per feeding shouldn't hurt... I believe 60-65 lbs is about average for an adult male Husky.
Actually, a male husky should be between the weight of 45 - 60lb. My male will probably top out around 52 - 55. My female is only 38lbs.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
It's so hard to tell with all that fluffy coat. Next time you give him a bath (or play in the lake as I know he likes to do) get pics when he is sopping wet.

For example, Denali (21 and 1/4" at the shoulder) weighs 40 lbs. Sopping wet (this was at a year old):

and all fluffy she almost looks fat!

At two years old, same weight, so you can tell how much her hips are visible

This is my rescue husky. On the left= TOO THIN. You can see her ribs clearly. On the right is better, but still a bit thin imo as her sides are still a bit too sucked in. Sides should go in and tummy should be tucked but not quite this much. (Edit: she weighed about 30 lbs on the left)

Current (Aug 29th), again note you can see where her hips are. (Edit: She weighs 40 lbs)

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Yep, I'm learning about evaluating weight with a fluffy dog first hand with my foster boy. Based on that scale I'd say he was an 8 when I brought him home from the shelter and after 10 weeks of less food and more exercise I've gotten him down to a 6. You can certainly see a difference in him from day 1 pictures and week 4 pictures, due to his thick coat there isn't much of a noticeable appearance change from week 4 to week 10 but I can certainly feel one when I feel for his ribs. He still has a noticeable layer of fat when I feel his ribs but I CAN actually feel them now. I'd call Jubel a 4 and I make sure to keep him there.

If it where me I'd probably add about a 1/4 cup more to each meal but I'm also only used to dealing with full grown adult dogs not growing dogs.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So he just got weighed at the vet today when he went in for his rabies vaccine, and he weighed 49.3lbs. That's 5lbs lighter than I expected. Does this change anyone's evaluation on whether or not he is too skinny/needs more food? The vet said he is a little skinny and bony but not emaciated.

·
Registered
11,352 Posts
We've been feeding him 2 cups of Earthborn Grain Free foods (changing flavors with each new bag)
I've found some of the grain free recipes to be more digestible and higher calorie than others. The Primitive Natural is my favorite for keeping up (or putting on) weight- it has the highest per cup calories and it seems the higher protein and higher fat is quite digestible. If you're not adjusting the serving size to reflect the metabolized calories, he's probably not getting enough on some of the rotations.

I feed 2 2/3 cups per day to my moderately active 77 lbs full grown dog. I feed 2 2/3 cups to my current foster, a 52 lbs moderate-to-active pit bull who is full grown and was not underweight on arrival. I fed 4 cups per day to a young ~65 lbs lab/pit mix who was underweight and also burning the calories more as he was still growing and filling out. Another young, energetic foster pit weighing in at 45 lbs got 3 cups per day as she too was still in that 1-2 year filling-out stage, that was enough to get her to a healthy weight and keep her there,

1 - 15 of 15 Posts