Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear Dog Experts :)

I have been researching dog breeds for a very long time now and I have narrowed my choice down to either the Coton de Tulear or the Tibetan Terrier. But both breeds are rare and it is not easy to come across dog owners of these two wonderful breeds. I would really appreciate it if you would share your experiences with the breeds with me. We are a family of four. I will be staying at home from next summer - which is when we would get our little new furry family member - my daughter will be 7 and is very playful, gentle and patient and my son (5 by then) basically just want a love bug that he can comb. We are not the hiking type of family, but we go to the park on weekends and for walks in the neighborhood a few times a week. We live in a average size house with a yard (that will be fenced by then) outside Seattle, so we get a lot of rain, don't know if that is important to add here. I would like a calm, happy, gentle, quiet, well behaved dog. I am leaning towards the Coton since it seems to meet every one of our needs but I am not sure if it might be a little too small.

Thanks so much in advance for your responses, can't wait to read them :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have never owned a Tibetan Terrier but I have some acquaintances who have one. They researched for a very long time and searched high and low to obtain this very rare breed. They love him dearly, but he developed some vision problems that required multiple surgeries around the age of 5 or 6. Apparently vision issues can be endemic to this breed so you'll want to make sure your breeder does genetic testing if you go the puppy route. My friends are still fans of the breed for what its worth.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts