Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Again, I ask alot of questions because I like to have alot of opinions from those that are wiser and more experienced...

so here it is, I have a 1.5 yr old pup and a 7 week pup.... should I buy all new toys for the new guy or let them share? She isn't possessive, only jealous when he gets an extra meal or if she is approached by the little guy while eating, which is why they are fed separately. The reason i ask this is because I have multiple food dispensing toys and I'd like to be able to give a few to the smaller guy for while I am not at home... is it okay to give them to him?

Part of the reason that I ask is part of my second question.... I keep my puppy in a small safe area while I am not home, and if I am not home for longer periods of time, I do not like to kennel my older dog. If I am not kenneling her and he is in his pen, is that okay? or might that cause conflict/problem? especially if he has a food dispensing toy and she doesn't? (she wouldn't have one because she's on a feeding schedule, which I might change that rule since I will be gone longer, but we'll see)

just looking for input. :)

·
Registered
9,366 Posts
If the older has snarked at the younger, I strongly recommend against leaving them alone. Him in the pen is OK. If he is eating, will she come over and mess with him? If she can't get to him, I don't see a problem.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The older one has snarked at the younger one, but only if he approaches her while she has a chew... I don't think I'll leave them out alone together until the younger one is old enough/ big enough to know better then to mess with her at the wrong times... she'll have run of the house and he will be in a pen. :)

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
I think that's a great idea. Dogs really don't have any concept, IMO, of fairness and equality! So, if you decide it's best to crate the little puppy, and let your older one roam (which I agree with) then, you just do it! :) If you just go about with the attitude that this is normal, the dogs will assume it's normal.

As for the toys: we always just let them share. We had Harper first, and about 8 months later we got Abby. They have different interests, so Harper prefers some of the toys and Abby prefers other toys. Abby loves fetch, so she likes balls and bouncy rubber toys, but they also have to be pretty indestructible because she's a huge chewer! Harper prefers rope toys, and toys he can sling around and wrestle with, like the "Skineez" toys, the stuffed animal toys with no stuffing!
Anyway, they usually don't fuss about who has what toy because they like different toys!

As for the treat dispensing toys, we do that, but only occasionally. We discovered Harper would eat his all at once, while Abby would leave it and come back later to eat more, only to find Harper had finished it for her! LOL! BUT, they never fight over it, which is a relief. He just assumes she's done, and takes over! :)
But, if you're keeping them separated when you're gone, you won't have to worry about that!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts