Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, this question has been the main thing on my mind for a few weeks now so I would really appreciate your opinions. I had been researching different dog breeds and breeders for a month when I suddenly just stopped and found myself asking if this was all impractical madness. If I'm being honest I really do want a dog. My heart melts at the sight of a dog be it big or small, quiet or a bounding bundle of energy. I just love dogs and find the companionship between dog and man beautiful. However, in saying all of this I'm not convinced that having a dog ( preferably a puppy) is practical in my circumstance. The main obstacle is my houses situation. We across the field from my family farm and have acres and acres of land and wood surrounding us on both sides- sounds perfect right? Not in the slightest. The problem? A big main road travelling to the capital city running right outside my house. Beautiful fields on both sides, big busy road smack bang in the middle. And the thing is that we've lost dogs on the road when I was younger and my dad who grew up just down the road has lost his fair share of dogs throughout his childhood. This may not seem likely to a lot of you but we're in a situation where if the dog wants to get out , it's going to get out no matter what we do to stop it. The area is just too open plan for confinement and we don't believe on chaining up dogs. We've only owned collies in the past and the three of them have been escape artists, getting through our feeble chicken wire and finding ways around fences. The escape routes were endless and the escapes were constant. The dogs always came back though so they weren't running away as such - just wandering which eventually led to their death at the hands of a unsuspecting driver. And that's another thing - it'd dangerous for the drivers as well. So basically I know that I'll probably be told to give up on my love of owning a dog because it's just too dangerous. However I am just putting this out there in the hope that some of you have advice confining dogs but because that is virtually impossible I'm more asking if any of you know of any breeds of dog that don't wander or are just happy to stay within their confines and not test the boundaries. If possible though I'm more talking about a medium/large sized fairly active dog preferably outside because I'm the eldest of five kids and we would prefer a bouncing bundle of joy to a couch potato! I know that this is an very specific criteria but the main feature is a dog content in it's own space and if that has to be a couch potato then I will still be happy! Thank you for reading this and any advice or information would be greatly appreciated!!

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
My family farm was/still is along a road with a decent amount of traffic. My brother lives on a farm on an even busier road. Both have dogs and have always had dogs. Both have, on occasion, lost a dog to the traffic. I don't see them ever not having dogs.

A few things that helped...

We always worked with our dogs to try to train them to ignore vehicles and not to chase cars. Any dog that just couldn't seem to resist, we had a tie out for...it was just necessary for the dogs' own safety while they were out. They were only on the tie out when they were not either on a leash, inside, or away from the road with one of us supervising. None of our dogs were outside-only dogs. Some spent more time than others outside, but all at least came in at night and if the weather was nasty. A long chain is better than death under a tire, if you can't train them out of it.

You will find that most rescues will not adopt to you if you cannot fence in your yard and if your hard is anything like ours was, then fencing just isn't practical. We got our dogs from breeders and from the local vet, who ran a mini-shelter of sorts.

You will want to check your homeowner's insurance. My parents had a large GSD stud that they bred when my brothers were small children. That dog did not chase cars, but he was protective of the yard, particularly when the kids were in it. He would bark at any passing car or such and there was once a motorcycle rider who rode past, was distracted/afraid of the barking dog, and apparently got into an accident. He attempted to sue and claimed that the GSD had chased and bitten him. The lawsuit was tossed out because there was no proof of a dog bite and he had a history of attempting to collect insurance money, but if my parent's had not been prepared with proper homeowner coverage, it could have been ugly.

I think you could certainly have a dog. My family have dogs on their property right now that are let out loose on the farm and still do not chase cars and do not wander far off the farm.

·
Registered
7,411 Posts
If you intend to leave the dog outside alone, then no. If you could keep the dog inside whenever you're inside and only have it outside off-leash when you're out there with it, then sure, you could train it to to stick close to you and have an excellent recall. But if you want a dog that's going to live outside and you don't want to chain or confine it in any way, I would not recommend getting a dog... ESPECIALLY a puppy.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
If you intend to leave the dog outside alone, then no. If you could keep the dog inside whenever you're inside and only have it outside off-leash when you're out there with it, then sure, you could train it to to stick close to you and have an excellent recall. But if you want a dog that's going to live outside and you don't want to chain or confine it in any way, I would not recommend getting a dog... ESPECIALLY a puppy.
Yes this. Do you know how many dogs my aunt and uncle have gone through? It's. . .ugh, it's sickening really. Do not sacrifice dogs to the road just because you want a dog. if you can keep the dog safe, sure. But if not, don't get a dog. You've gone this long without one, it won't kill you to wait until you have a better situation for dogkeeping.

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
I'm not seeing the issue here.
Build a fence and/or keep your dog on a leash when you're outside. Teach the dog recall and boundaries, don't allow them loose outside.

But, if you plan to get a dog and just throw it outside, then no, maybe you shouldn't get one.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
I'm not clear on why you couldn't fence a portion of your property for the dog, and keep the dog on leash with you if you're outside of that area?

·
Banned
1,767 Posts
It's pretty simple really.

Don't get a dog if you're going to leave it outside unsupervised.
Don't get a puppy.

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
Some dogs don't test boundaries. Mine could be described as a "bouncing bundle of joy" (with emphasis on the bounce), but she has zero interest in straying. My fence has numerous holes, which she ignores. We hike off leash frequently, and she will stay close and panic if she loses track of me. At home, if I open the front door, she has no interest in going out unless someone is going out with her (in which case she is overjoyed at the prospect of a walk or car ride). I think she'd be safe living near a busy road. But this isn't a trait that you can necessarily predict based on breed. Breeds that work closely with humans (like herders and hunting breeds) are more likely to stick close, but it's an individual trait. I'd look into adopting a young adult dog who already displays a very strong interest in staying near its people. Stay away from hounds - they are very independent and won't think twice about leaving home without you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the advice guys, I wasn't expecting such a quick response! After reading your responses I have decided to post pone getting a dog until I can really be sure that the dog will be 100% safe in it's environment. This may not be until I move out but I'm sure that it will be worth the wait. I have decided to look into volunteering in the local animal sanctuary to learn more about caring for dogs and to be in their company in general until I can get my own. Thank you again.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Thanks for all the advice guys, I wasn't expecting such a quick response! After reading your responses I have decided to post pone getting a dog until I can really be sure that the dog will be 100% safe in it's environment. This may not be until I move out but I'm sure that it will be worth the wait. I have decided to look into volunteering in the local animal sanctuary to learn more about caring for dogs and to be in their company in general until I can get my own. Thank you again.
We really need a like button, guys!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts