Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a nine month old mix breed (bichon/ cavalier) and I am literally worried about every single thing she does. Anything from a cough to her chewing on something she shouldn't, the list is endless.

The reason I'm posting though is because of her coat. When I got her she had a white coat with black around her face and a black patch at her side. However in the last couple of months all along her back has grey spots of fur like she's dappled. I thought it would darken to black but doesn't look like it's gonna happen.

This in itself obviously wouldn't worry me but I googled it (silly me!) and there's loads of info about genetics and that I should watch out for deafness, blindness etc. her eyes are dark brown and this all may seem very silly but just wondering does anyone else have a dog with these markings??

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
If it's natural markings I don't think you have anything to worry about. I give
My dog a high grade, human grade salmon oil to help with his coat and other
Things.

·
Registered
4,041 Posts
It's VERY common for a young dog to change color or have 'spots' or new markings appear in their coat or even on their skin before and sometimes even after a year old. Dalmations, for example, are born white and get their spots after a few weeks, these spots may continue to grow, change, darken, lighten, or spread for a while. It doesn't mean they're unhealthy or at risk for any health problems, it's simply just the way their coat is.

I feel very confident in saying your dog is just fine.
The only time you need worry about a dogs health due to their coat is if it begins falling out (not to be mistaken with regular shedding, you need to be able to see SKIN from a distance before you should worry). Otherwise, most of the time common and quick-to-resolve ailments involving the dogs coat are loss of shine (food related), oily (bath & food related) or feeling dirty (bath related).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's what I thought before I googled it as I thought it was a little strange considering the mix she is but as usual I had to go poking around the net. Thanks ��

1 - 4 of 4 Posts