Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently adopted/was given a 3 year old unneutered male labradoodle, from a breeder. I received my 2 other dogs from her, they were all obviously abused. I can't even pet or go near him without him flinching. The main thing I am concerned about is I have had him for about 2 days and he wont eat a thing, I have tried the food the breeder gave me, a different dry dog food, dry with canned food, canned food, and food that is in pouches - and still a no go on food, the only thing he as eaten was the dewormer pill and about half of a dog biscuit. He also seems to have 2 spots, one behind each ear where there is fur missing, and looks to be matted fur but I am unsure. Some fur has come out I believe due to stress. the other thing I am concerned about he has not barked once since I got him, which is unheard of...even when my other labradoodle barks at him he just ignores it. does anyone have any suggestions on how to get him to be social and act like a dog and not be scared, as well as getting him to eat. Next week I am taking him to the vet though to have them do a checkup

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
1) give him some time to settle before worrying to much. He will not starve himself and will eat when hungry enough. It has only been two days!!!

2) I wouldn't purchase anymore dogs from this "breeder".

·
Registered
17,925 Posts
I agree with the above poster. He won't starve himself; it took our UNabused, largely well adjusted dog a week to eat. He's just adjusting, and it's going to take time. He won't starve himself, though.

And yeah. Scary breeder.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1) give him some time to settle before worrying to much. He will not starve himself and will eat when hungry enough. It has only been two days!!!

2) I wouldn't purchase anymore dogs from this "breeder".
thanks, I never actually purchased a dog from this breeder, they were all given to me...part of the reason I take in dogs from her, is they are all badly abused and the conditions are not bad enough to get her shut down many people have tried

1 - 4 of 4 Posts