Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was hard enough to go through the death of my 14-year-old sheltie, who suffered for two years with kidney failure... let alone the death of my new pomeranian puppy who ended up having a possible liver shunt three months after Callie passed on. But I don't want to be shooting for number three, so I thought that I'd ask here if anyone has any suggestions.

Our vet won't be opened until tomorrow, at which time I'm going to ask them, but I'm on the search for another pom puppy (still weighing my options, etc.) and I found one, but it has a small hernia. We went to visit the pup, and you can't even really see the hernia at all... and the breeder's vet said that it would be an easy thing to repair and would have no future repercussions. The place looked very clean, the puppy was a bouncing baby boy with tons of energy who looked absolutely fit as a fiddle, and I was glad that the breeder let us know of the problem which obviously shows her reputability.

BUT I don't want to go through what I went through before. You may think I'm crazy for going after another puppy that has a congenital defect, but I'm just weighing my options.

So what do you think? Could a hernia as small as his cause him any future damage? Do you think it would be anything to worry about?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
I would not be too concerned about a small hernia they are very easy for a vet to repair. Your vet can do the repair if your pup is neutered.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Depends on where it is. A small umbilical hernia is not a big worry, and that is what I would assume you are talking about. An inguinal hernia can be a bigger deal, as the intestines can come through.

So small umbilical: easily fixed, no big deal, can wait until neuter.

Inguinal: still easily fixed, but needs to be done right away.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think it's an umbilical hernia... the breeder said that her vet told her it'd be okay to get that done whenever he goes in to be neutered, which is great. So I'm assuming that's what it is, hopefully (I'll ask her tomorrow...).

Thanks for your help! :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts