Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a first-time dog owner and have been doing massive amounts of research the past year to make sure I'm ready for a new family member. I have talked to all my family members and they all gave an okay. I don't know anyone with pets and don't know where to start reaching out and therefore ended up at this forum. Please bear with me.
I am planning to adopt an adult dog. And while I have done all my research and am in my last steps of preparations to register for an adoption, I'm suddenly hesitant. I really do want a dog, but I'm worried and anxious. It's my first time taking care of a dog and while I prepared myself in every aspect I can think of to give him/her a great new home, I'm worried that I won't do as well as I wish to as a pet parent. It's not a matter of whether they'd be thankful or not, but whether I can make 'them' as happy as I want them to be. This matter has became rather troubling for me the past month or so.
Is there any advice anyone can give?

·
Registered
242 Posts
Everyone has to start somewhere.
Frist give yourself a pat on the back for adopting. Secondly its often easier to start with an adult dog.. Theyve gone through the pooping and peeing stage and are mostly housetrained , most wont chew your furniture and many have already learned basic commands.

In my expierence you cant 'make' anyone happy all you can do is offer and see whats accepted. So offer your home and your love then see what kind of dog your new buddy is.. For us Sheba was a Mrs in and out, she had bnever been off a chain and the idea that she could just come and go to the garden when she wanted to was a really novel one so for the first 6 months or so she went in and out 20 times a day just to make sure she could... She also walked behind the furniture to avoid being kicked(?) she had been badly beaten when we got her. But given time she blossomed into a little diva who enjoyed taking part in scruff dog shows..

Oscar wanted cuddles cuddles and more cuddles. Once he gained his strength he wanted to pay ball all day every day.
He would lick the dew from the grass , habit from when he was kept without food and water.

Benny didnt want any cuddles he didnt even like you looking at him , so we built him an indoor kennel where he could retreat if things got too much for him.

Remy brain damaged from beatings and left in a field to die. He always looked sad, never learned to play ball or swim or be with anyone else he was my velcro dog forever a puppy because of the damage..and he loved nothing more than cuddling up with his blanket on my lap..

Each one had different needs and we worked out what each one needed and gave them exactly that.. Then we found we had the perfect dogs and they seemed to agree that they had the perfect home..

So talk to the rescue make it clear to them what you can and cant deal with (dont fall for sob stories) then allow the dog the time and space to tell you what they need remember many dogs comeing from rescue will be shut down. The real dog is in there but needs time before he/she can relax enough to come out and really truust that this is it the home and the family they have been waiting for , so dont expect it all to happen overnight it may take time..

And of course when you bring home the new guy or girl we all want to see photos and get updates...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts