Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Copper's been doing really well on a pre-made raw food from Tollden Farms. I was wondering if I should add anything to it... This is what it has:

"Turkey & Vegetable Blend

Double ground turkey, turkey bones, hearts; Turkey liver; Romaine lettuce, dandelion leaves, sweet potato, carrot, collards, zucchini; kelp, Tollden Gold Omega 3 water cold pressed fish oil (18 DHA 12 EPA) for a healthy immune system."

He gets 3 patties a day, which is higher than the guide says... I've been told puppies need more because they're growing. If that's the case, I really want to make sure he has enough so he can have healthy bones and joints, especially as a large breed puppy.

So basically: should I add anything to it? Is it ok he's getting a bit more than the recommended amount for adults his weight?

Thank you!! :)

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
The feeding guidelines are just that, guidelines. He may need more or less. I believe after around 4 months of age the rough amount is 2-3% of projected adult weight per day for the average raw diet.

Do you feed any other blends? I am a strong believer that variety is the key to a raw diet and the minimum number of protein sources a dog should be getting (over time not in one day) is 4 whenever possible.

Most raw feeding guides will also tell you to feed a variety of organs, not just liver. So 5% of the diet should be liver and another 5% should be other organs (kidney, pancreas, spleen, brain etc.).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts