Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello to all, but especially multiple dog owners.
I have 1 working (sheep) line GSD called bernie, at 2 i wanted a friend for him to play with, as i was returning to work more hours. So a bit of company.
We got Pohm 7 months ago. She is great, but very low drive dog. And to be frank, cant keep up with bernie. Ive tried building drive. But genetically, she just doesnt have it.
She's a very large lap dog with a beautiful nature, but lazy as!

So thinking of a 3rd pooch.
I tend to fall over small dogs easily, and at 6', i like to pat my dogs without having to bend over to the ground.

Where i live, 3 is the max on a dog licence.
any suggestions of what to add into this four legged family?

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Something male. They tend to get along better in multi dog households than females, where you may have same sex aggression.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I would say no. You haven't even had your 2nd dog for very long. I would wait at least 1-2 years in between pets, gives you time to actually realize whether or not it is a good idea. 7 months is still pretty new, in my opinion.

I would wait, who knows what you can accomplish with Pohm if you keep on trying or even try a different method of "building drive". How did you try and build her drive? I am sure there are other working breed owners you can help you out with training. Maybe post a thread about Pohm, her story, and everything you have done so far to train her. You never know what answers you'll get, you might just get one that could help you and Pohm :)

p.s. pictures please! I love GSDs, although I am far too lazy to own one lol.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I have a 7 year old Samoyed Mix, a 2 year old Golden Retriever, and a 6 month old German Shepherd...At times its rough because of the puppy but I'd probably do it all over again and I'll probably add a fourth but not for a couple years. You didn't mention what the second dog is??

·
Banned
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pohm the pup is a Rottie x Dogue de Bordeaux (Hooch out of Turner n Hooch movie)
Bernie is a 3 yr Medium length 'red' GSD and pic is on my profile of both.

I think, that having read this, waiting till she's older, and her training is more solid would be wise. Especially if i want to get a high maintenance worker dog again.
But whilst ive been dreaming about a 3rd, i came accross a breeder of ducks, for your shepherd to herd. Apparently these ducks are well bred to stick together and run at a steady pace. Duck eggs, AND a new set of toys for the dogs? That sounds like fun to me.

I need to read up more.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts