Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just got a new puppy 2 weeks ago, she is 6 months old. She has a vet record and has not had any shots since she was 7 weeks old. I have contacted a few vets and have been told by some she needs to start over and by others that she doesnt and just needs her last shots plus rabies??

I know that when kids are late with their shots they dont start over...so now I am confused as what to do with the puppy.

Thanks for any info

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
I'm not a vet, so I can't say for sure, but I'd think that the ones saying you need to start over are correct.

There's a reason the puppy shots are staggered the way they are, they're a series that need to be administered within certain amounts of time after each one to be effective.

The rabies shot is different, since it is a one time deal only needed every so many years, and it's typically given with the last set of boosters.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Give her a Distemper/Parvo and then a month later Give her the Rabies. (NOT AT THE SAME TIME)

Then she'll be good to go.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. I was almost on my way to our appointment when I posted this as I was confused. The vet has given her DAP- Parvo/corona and a kennel cough. She is to go back in 4 weeks now for another shot and her rabies. So now we are in the middle...they are giving her two instead of one or three.

He also said to keep her away from the parks for 2 weeks...is that long enough :)

and thanks again for the replies...I am glad I have found this forum as I am sure we will have many more questions.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
That's a lot at one sitting. And I, personally, wouldn't give the rabies shot at the same time as other shots are given. Make sure the rabies is spaced out at least 3 weeks

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
she should have the rabies all on its own?

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
she should have the rabies all on its own?
Yep. Giving the shots together increases the risk of adverse reactions and decreases the chances of the vaccines causing proper immunity.

The reason you don't need to "start over" with the puppy shots is because the puppy series is only done that way because puppies may not develop sufficient immunity due to maternal antibodies, so you need to keep giving shots until they're old enough to have no maternal antibodies left. Once they're old enough to completely rule out maternal antibodies (could be up to 4-6 months), only 1 shot is needed.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
I'm overly paranoid, so I would recommend that you wait until you give the last shots before you take her to the park. A couple of more weeks won't hurt, ... and Parvo or distemper can be fatal.

As far as rabies, I gave my 6 year old dog his DAP and rabies at the same time. He developed a fever and was disoriented for a full day. My Vet recommended that we stagger by two weeks next time, but I agree that it is better to wait 1 month between the shots to give the dog's immune system enough time to settle down.

- Hank Simon

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the replies :)

I was now finding a groomer who would cut her nails with out the rabies shot (our petsmart wont) and when I was talking to one groomer (none of the others I called required it) they said that they dont need a rabies shot unless we are taking the dog across the boarder because there has not been a rabies out break for 40 years.

What is everyones take on this? is it best to avoid or get it? I know they dont give kids small pox vac anymore???

boy this gets complicated LOL.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Just to be clear, I believe that all states require that a dog has to vaccinated at least once for rabies. I don't know when a puppy is required to get the rabies shot. I live in Texas and give my dog the 3 year shots, becausewe have bats, skunks, raccoons, and coyotes nearby, so exposure is possible. I could do a titer, but have never gone that route.

However, it is not possible to catch rabies without contact of blood or saliva, so I don't think that you have an immediate concern about your puppy getting rabies from a groomer. If your puppy will always be indoors, it is not an issue, but if you have the chance of exposure to bats or skunks (or raccoons), there is a slim danger.

I personally recommend that you get the initial parvo & distemper (DAP) shots, and then get the initial (3-year ?) rabies shot when your Vet recommends (at 6 mos ?). At the same time, you can discuss the idea of titer and immune certification for follow up.

- Hank Simon

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
guess I should have mentioned we are in Canada and apparently only need the rabies vaccine to come in the US (which we never do LOL) she is both an out door and an indoor dog, but she only goes in our yard and out on a leash. And we live in the city. I have actually never seen a skunk (but they do exist here LOL) and I havent seen a raccoon for a few years. Bats I would think she would be in contact with more

I am thinking the best thing to do is get her second set and then wait a bit and get the rabies shot. Something I wasnt really thinking about until now (while posting this) is we are BIG campers...we love camping in the spring, summer and fall...so to be safe she will get a rabies shot...because I dont know what she might find in the bush LOL...she is a Jack russell and apparently they like to find things.

·
Registered
52 Posts
She should only need one round of puppy shots as, like a previous poster said, maternal antibodies won't be an issue at six months.

Also, better safe than sorry with the rabies!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts