Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have always adopted my puppies through rescues. I've always had German Shepherds because I find they are best combination of loyal companion, intimidator/guard dog and good with kids. My father got my first Shepherd when I was 5 years old and from that age until I was 35 I always had a Shepherd by my side.

I have been looking into getting a Shiloh Shepherd for a couple of years. I have done a good amount of research, I am familiar with the possible dispute going on between different Shiloh registries. I prefer not to get involved with that, nor am I looking for opinions regarding the different registries.

What I would like to see are comments from anyone who has purchased a Shiloh Shepherd from a breeder, I'm looking for positive feedback, if you didn't like the breeder that's fine, but I'm just looking for positive comments on the breeder they dealt with.

The main reason I ask is I don't live near any breeders and would most likely have to have the puppy shipped, I cannot visit the breeder like I would prefer to.

Thank you.

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
I don't see how you can form an objective opinion with only positive feed back...

The Shiloh's don't exactly have the best temperaments to begin with. Why not just get another GSD?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I request positive feedback because I don't want to bash any breeders people had difficulties with. Positive feedback is very helpful, if I get multiple positive feedback on a breeder that helps.

Curious first reply, I find it interesting when people prefer to take exception with a question rather than just respect the poster's request. This seems to be very common on computer forums, possibly because computer experts all think they know better than you.

I won't address your negative opinion of Shiloh's as I've been around quite a few, not one showed any aggressive or unfriendly attitude towards me as a stranger. The ones I come across were all very nice. I believe improper breeding is the most likely cause of a poor tempered dog.

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
It's really not a curious first reply...it's a fair question. Sharing "negative" information, even if just sent through PM shows more about the breed than positive.

There are some very very famous GSD kennels that receive recommendations from those that don't know any better, or those that do and just don't care, and they breed sickly/temperamentally unsound dogs.

Hearing only the good things about them teaches nothing as there is no balance. One must take the good with the bad and the bad with the good.

This seems to be very common on computer forums, possibly because computer experts all think they know better than you.
It has nothing to do with being a computer expert...knowing about computers doesn't even enter into choosing a good breeder.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
A woman in my agility class breeds Shilohs. Her dog is reactive and they don't stay to play after class because she claims her dog only plays well with other Shilohs. Now, I have no information about her as a a breeder but, from looking at her site, she seems reputable. I find this interesting. Is it a breed trait, or just something about how this breeder does/does not socialize her dogs?

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
The breed isn't supposed to be aggressive...they're supposed to be rather placid actually....funny thing, since that's not what I've experienced from any of them x.x

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
Rats! I want a Shiloh someday, and I've never heard that they tend toward iffy temperments. I just thought it seemed easier to find a good Shiloh breeder than sorting through the MILLIONS of GSD breeders to find one that produced decent dogs. Plus I like the big, plush look, and I want a dog that's not too drivey. I'll have to look into that some more.

To the OP---going through the breed club is a good place to find breeders to research. I know there's a lot of disputing in the Shiloh world, but, hey, now you have 2 breed registries to help you find a breeder :p . Of course, belonging to the breed club is no guarantee of a good breeder, but it gives you a good starting point.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Just an FYI here - I've seen some gorgeous Shilohs at different GSD rescues. Maybe you can adopt one? That way not only do you not have to worry about finding a reputable breeder but you're also saving a life. Just a thought... :D

Jihad
and the pound puppy crew.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts