Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my parents have a Shih Tzu, now 5 years old, and spoiled to the core. He bites/growls, is very stubborn, leads when you walk, and generally thinks he is the boss. He can be a very loving dog, he just hasn't been taught right. My brother and I are trying to correct his behavior when we visit the house but the parents simply refuse to treat him like a dog instead of a person, so he ignores it as soon as we leave. They're getting frustrated and often very arrogantly entertain the idea of giving him away or some such thing. My question is, having lived with my parents for 5 years, would he be able to handle having a new house and new owners (my brother and I)? Also, I know separation anxiety is a problem with the breed, so would leaving him with friends or neighbors be a good idea while at work? Provided they don't break the training. Being at home alone is an option but work days can be extremely long sometimes. I would like to give him a better home, so any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Dogs are resilient and adaptable but, every dog comes with some baggage. It sounds like his socialization skills are really low and at his age it's not easy to modify that behavior but, it can get better.
It sounds like you think separation anxiety (SA) might be a problem....it's not. It's the perfect training environment...he wants to be with you...wants to please. You use that to your training advantage instead of dwelling on how his feelings might be hurt when you're gone. BTW, true SA is quite rare as it's a neurological disorder that requires medical treatment and professional behavior modification after treatment....it's 80% medical and 20% behavior.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts