Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
My baby is 4 months old and he loves to play and is very active. But recently he has stopped eating his dog food. No matter what I mix in it he will not eat it. I give him Royal canine mini food. I have also tried adding chicken gravy/boiled egg to his food but he won't eat it. He wants to eat what we eat like rice, bread, biscuits, etc. Any other food alternatives? We also took him to the vet but he is perfectly fine.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Dogs refuse food for three reasons.
1.) They are not hungry and are being fed too much (do NOT feed the amounts on the bag.. fee a lot less) or get too many treats.
2. ) The food disagrees with them.
3.) They are being fed alternative foods they like better (like food from you table).

Feed her NOTHING for 12 hours. Then feed 1/4 c. of food. Put it down. If he does not eat it in 20 minutes, take it up and do not feed anything for another 8 hours. Rinse, repeat. If after 36 hours your puppy still has eaten nothing and acts normal otherwise, try another food and do the same thing. Because he has eaten NOTHING for 3 hours, he may dive right into the change.

The real trick here is feeding absolutely NOTHING to the dog other than the dog food and at the prescribed intervals, picking it up and putting it away after 20 minutes.

I have never seen a dog starve itself to death. Most dive in after 24 hours.

After you have gotten him eating again, STOP all treats and all human food. This will make the dog food more valuable to the dog.

·
Registered
630 Posts
My shih tzu was not a big chow hound and would often refuse to eat for a whole day, then eat his food all at one sitting. My sister's dog is the same - a bit indifferent to food. I usually just waited him out as long as it was no more than a day. Being small, they don't need to fast extended periods of time. If you have a weigh to way your pup, you might keep up with its weight to make sure it doesn't lose weight while it's doing this.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts