Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question...for those who have snowy wintery months, what do you put on your little dog's paws? Our Winters can get really cold and snowy here and was thinking of trying the booties or the paw balm for walks. Also, is coconut oil safe for their little paws? I want to massage my little pooch's paws with some type of ointment/oil to keep them from cracking.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
The biggest problem we have is snow balling up in icy chunks in our boy's toe hair. We've found a really basic cloth bootie with velcro closure works well enough for our purposes - ours are obnoxiously neon green so if one falls off we can find it easily. I've used pad balm/musher's secret too but it often winds up being a mess and kind of a pain to apply every time, but that probably depends on your house set-up and dog. If you have a porch or something where you could apply the balm it'd probably be a lot easier!

Coconut oil should be safe for most dogs, just use a small amount at first to make sure it doesn't bother your pup's tummy (because they will lick some off!). I'm allergic to coconut, including the oil, so I avoid it whenever possible but lots of people have success with it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts