Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
What is he doing that requires a weekly bath? Generally, I'd say that that is too frequent.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Once a week is alright, as long as you use a shampoo made for dogs and rinse the hair very well. I wash my shih tzu every week because I prefer her to be very clean, and she has no skin issues. I use an oatmeal shampoo.

·
Banned
1,765 Posts
A shih tzu shouldn't NEED a bath every week but if you do wash him weekly, make sure to use a mild shampoo like oatmeal shampoo so you don't irritate his skin.

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
As long as you are thoroughly rinsing out EVERY remnant of shampoo, (and using a conditioner afterwards) you can bathe your dog as much as you like.

It's shampoo residue that dries out the skin and causes problems, also because most people actually use too much of it. As long as you are using a mild product and rinsing well, you shouldn't have any problems.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Zoey and Maggie both get weekly baths, there is no problem with it. Mild shampoo, condition, and be sure not to fry their hair with a hot hair dryer.. I put mine on the 'cool' setting (which is really more like 'luke-warm'). Weekly bathing also helps to keep the tangles and mats at bay.

·
Registered
4,152 Posts
Once a week is alright, as long as you use a shampoo made for dogs and rinse the hair very well. I wash my shih tzu every week because I prefer her to be very clean, and she has no skin issues. I use an oatmeal shampoo.
I have a papillon I bathe every 5-7 days, because of his allergies. I tried only washing him once a month (as is recommended) and it was disgusting. With my dogs that I bathe rather frequently, I don't have to use shampoo made for farm dogs that get a bath once a year, or really strong stuff with color enhancers because they never get dirty enough to need them. A mild shampoo with a bit of conditioner seems to do well, and I'd rather have my dogs clean and looking/feeling great than not. Plus, with a 10 week old puppy, he needs to learn that bathtime is just a part of life here :)
I can't speak for them, but I've talked to people who actively show dogs with single coats (shih-tzu, maltese, papillons, etc) that bathe their dogs a few times a week and have no problems with dry skin. I'm not sure how this works with doublecoated dogs, my GSD gets a bath as needed (sometimes that's twice a week or monthly...he never gets dirty in the winter and is clean as a pin. Go figure!)

·
Banned
1,934 Posts
Weekly bathing is fine, and even recommended for Shih Tzu. The cleaner their hair is, the less it matts. If your Tzu has a "doggy" smell then it could be food related. Other smells can be from infected ears.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts