Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just brought home a Shiba Inu puppy from a breeder who was letting him pee on mats very similar to carpet, on a carpeted area (meaning he was probably peeing wherever he wanted). I'm trying to get him to use regular paper puppy pads, but he sees them as toys and chews on them. This is his third day home and only once have I put him down on one and he circled, sniffed, and peed. I praised him like the second coming of Christ for this with beef liver and yogurt, both of which he seems to like a lot. Any ideas?

More info: He is set up in a 6'x6' play pen with a crate inside. I only had one area rug in the whole apartment and he was darting to that to use the bathroom any time I did try to let him out. I removed the rug since it was obvious he was trying to use it to cling to his old habits (and it sucks because I realize that he was obviously trying to be a good boy, going where he is used to going thinking it's the right thing to do).

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
Why not ditch the pads and just take him outside? I think that's the best option for the vast majority of owners.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why not ditch the pads and just take him outside? I think that's the best option for the vast majority of owners.
I live on the second story in the corner of the building furthest from the Central Park that is shared with many older dogs in a newly developing area with lots of hares and raccoons around, and he's only had his first vaccinations so he's not supposed to be on the ground anywhere outside.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts