Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've had Malachi (shiba) for over 10 years. We brought home a miniature Schnauzer (Izzibeaux) a little over 2 years ago and all went well. They played together and got along fine. A little over a year ago we added the Akita (Never) to our family. Things went smoothly for a while. Then Malachi, who is the only male (and neutered) decided he didn't like the Akita sniffing him or getting too close to him. Never grew quickly and dwarfed Malachi. We always fed them separately. As this behavior grew we began feeding them in separate rooms. Malachi just would not tolerate Never close to him and would growl and bark (best a Shiba can). Never would raise the fur on her neck and not back down. They tied up a coupla times with Malachi getting the short end of the stick and he would calm down for a week or so and avoid Never. Last night, while we were eating, Never jumped on Malachi for reasons we can't figure out. We don't ever feed them from the table. Malachi leg is hurting him today. I don't want to give up Never but Malachi was our first dog. Any ideas? BTW, Izzy is usually right in the middle of any fray the other two have and doesn't realize she's nowhere near the size of the other two. Never could break her in half with one bite. Please help me.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Dogs never do anything for no reason. It's really hard to figure out exactly what is causing the aggression between the two dogs--it honestly sounds like Malachi is older and not quite as tolerant of a puppy being in his face as he once was and that Never is trying to find out his place in the pack. You need to make it clear that you are in charge no matter what and redirect the attention of both dogs if they even make eye contact. Something as simple as "Hey!" could do the trick if you catch them early enough. Just know that you have to match your dogs intensity when he is lashing out, and it's much easier to do before he gets to a level 10-so to speak-on the aggression scale. It doesn't sound like this is over-blown yet, but if you are afraid or uncertain, it could lead to a red-zone case.

BTW--I love the name Never, very cool.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts