Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
The last duty we owe our pets is a peaceful passing. The longer you hold onto her, the less chance her passing will be peaceful. You've already described her condition getting worse and worse. Don't wait for her to suffer obvious pain just to make your decision easier.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I put it this way. I would rather my animal go a month too soon than an hour too late.

Your description says it is time to let her go.. she has neither quality of life nor dignity. Keeping her going "for the kids" is teaching them that their selfish feelings are more important than the dog and the dog's quality of life and the dog's feelings. If that is the lesson you want them to learn, then that is your choice.

I know the decision is yours, but this dog would have been sent over the rainbow bridge quite a long time ago if she were here.. certainly would have gone the minute she could no longer be kept clean because she no longer allowed you to clean her. The discomfort of the matted hair is enough reason right there.

I saw a dog similar to this one at the vet one day. That dog could no longer walk and had to have weekly infusions to keep her alive. The dog looked at me with such suffering in her eyes.. but the OWNERS were only thinking about how they felt. I was the next patient and talked to the Vet about that dog. He said "I did not go Vet school to support such suffering nor did I go to Vet school to kill healthy animals. In the former I support euthanizing and in the latter I support rehoming."

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
I agree with Knute. Just from what you’ve said, it’s time. It’s not about you as much as her. Do you really think she’s enjoying life?
by the way, I DO know how you feel as we just put down one of our dogs yesterday.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts