Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Shes going in tomorow and when she gets home Im wondering if you have any advice on how to look after her. I know the vet will probably tell us but just any extra tips would be good :)

·
Registered
301 Posts
just try to keep her down and not jump up onto anything things like that. You don't want the stitches to rip out!

·
Registered
629 Posts
Do you have a crate? If so, have her stay in it so she isn't overly active. I also put bitter apple around the stitches, a few inches away on her fur so she wouldn't lick. The cone didn't work well for our dog. We also put a dog tshirt on so it was harder to lick.

Ask your vet about lumps. Luna got a big lump a few days after and it was scary but not a big deal. I can't remember the specifics but it did bleed.

Also, make sure you get pain meds for her.

Good luck!

·
Registered
434 Posts
No offence but I think alot of people on here are silly worrying so much about they're dog getting spayed or neutered. It's nothing to worry about, just make sure they don't jump up and down off the sofa or bed or anything high. I wouldn't even bother with pain meds until you've had her home a day or two, and only if the stitches seem to bother her. It's nothing to worry about at all, just watch your dog, but don't fret too much. If your dog is a licker just watch closer and keep her from licking. Every dog I've had spayed had the lump too Cobalt, only one we took into the vet for it, and it wasn't anything, just a little swelling on ours, and it went away in a few days.

·
Banned
894 Posts
If she licks the incision put a tee shirt on her and tie it snug around her lower abdomen.

Oh wait, yorkie. Do you have an baby tee shirts?

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
No offence but I think alot of people on here are silly worrying so much about they're dog getting spayed or neutered. It's nothing to worry about, just make sure they don't jump up and down off the sofa or bed or anything high. I wouldn't even bother with pain meds until you've had her home a day or two, and only if the stitches seem to bother her. It's nothing to worry about at all, just watch your dog, but don't fret too much. If your dog is a licker just watch closer and keep her from licking. Every dog I've had spayed had the lump too Cobalt, only one we took into the vet for it, and it wasn't anything, just a little swelling on ours, and it went away in a few days.
For a lot of people posting worried on this forum, it's their first dog and thus first spay/neuter. They don't know what the after care entails and don't know what the recovery process is like. I don't think it's so silly to worry about things like abdominal surgery (in the case of a spay) when you have no experience with the procedure or it's after effects. Heck I don't think it's silly to worry even IF you have experience. Surgery is surgery and for some that's a stressful ordeal.

Besides, most of the owners (posting) are just looking for advice and that's rarely if ever, a poor decision. It never hurts to further educate yourself.

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
My dog had huge complications from her spay and within a day and a half of having it done have to go to the e-vet and have the wound drained, restitched, and got antibiotics for a massive infection that started inside the wound and spread to her blood stream. She never licked her incision because she didn't move an inch when she came home. E-vet said it was probably a result of the sutures being done poorly and the skin overlapping/being sewn too tight.
Not going to happen to every dog, but it's still surgery and there is always cause for concern and inquiry.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
It is amazing how fast dogs can bounce back, so like everyone said keep her as quiet as possible. By then following day she may well be ready to jump around...so definitely keep her quiet to keep the stitches intact.

Good luck to you and her!

·
Registered
6,102 Posts
The majority of spays go smoothly. So try not to worry too much.

1. You are having the surgery done jsut before a long holiday weekend. Try to find out before leaving the office what to do in case you ahve complications over the holiday.

2. They will give you instructions, usually, on post-surgical care and what to look for, the following are mine...

* Keep the dog in a quiet place, preferably in the crate, when you bring her home. Keeping her in the crate will prevent her from jumping around. But don't expect much of that for the first 24 hours after surgery...in other words, until the afternoon the day AFTER you pick her up. Expect a pretty lethargic dog at least until Saturday morning. And she may want to be mostly left alone until later on Saturday. A crate is good for that. Just be sure to take her outside, carry her if necessary but I think the walking is good for healing, to potty and just get some fresh air if the weather is nice. No wandering, no walks, just outside to potty. But most dogs are pretty off-kilter the first 12-24 hours after being released. It is normal to have stumbling, falling over, falling asleep while trying to stand up. An e-collar or t-shirt (large tube end of a sock that may be streched out a bit? ...small dogs here too!) may be helpful if she is TOO interested in the stitches.

* They will probably tell you not to feed or only just a few bites the night after surgery. Offer small amounts of water the first night. Don't let her gulp down a bunch, she will probably just vomit it back up. Then the next day, Saturday, I would split the daily ration into 3 small meals. See how the first one goes and take it from there. It is not unusual for dogs to vomit or have loose stools after anesthesia. Be sure to have water available. If you have no other dogs it would probably be ok to leave the crate door open with her water bowl and a blanket or such nearby. If there are other dogs or cats in the house try to put the crate in a gated room so that she can wander out when she feels like stretching but cannot be running around and is protected from other animals. Try to anticipate things she may want to jump up on and place lightweight cardboard boxes, piles of towels, etc on the jump spots to discourage her.

* Every 2-4 hours you need to look closely at the wound. You are looking for any oozing, swelling, redness, bleeding. I would usually do this when I take the dog out of the crate / gated room for a potty outing. Anything that worries you should be brought to the vet's attention.

* Sometimes they give you pain meds, sometimes not. Our vet does not give them and I've had 5 dogs spayed by him without any issues. If you keep them quiet for the first three days (the clue is when the edges of the would look like they are starting to "mend" together, they no longer look like two loose edges) then it is ok for the dog to have some limited activity. Still no jumping or running, but more time out of the crate / gated room, spend more time on your lap while you watch tv or such, a bit more time outside if the weather is nice...but still no walks or playing ball, tug, fetch...not yet.

* If the dog "mends" within 3-5 days, is eating and eliminating normally, acts like her old self (mostly), is leaving the stitches alone...then after about the 5th day you can loosen up. I would still not allow jumping or rough play. But you can pretty much let her out of the crate and give regular run of the house, whatever that is for your pup. You will probably have a follow up at 7-10 days with the vet. Sometimes they use stitches that need to be removed, sometimes the stitches dissolve...but most vets like to see the patient to release them from care and know that all is well.

***Bottom line...keep the dog quiet for a few days, don't expect much in the way of eating or play, expect gastro distress from the anesthesia and meds given during surgery, watch for too much interest in the stitches and do something to prevent it if it happens, look at the wound several times each day, if the dog is not drinking anything in the first 24 hours...be concerned, if not eating within 48 ours...be concerned, call the vet with any concerns...you payed a lot for the surgery...they can at least answer questions over the phone.

Since you are doing this on a holiday weekend be sure to ask all of your questions, write them down, when you pick up the dog. Once they close that office at 5 you may have only an ER vet who has never seen your dog to consult. Be sure that you thoroughly understand the discharge instructions and any meds that they give you.

All of my dogs, even at 9 years old, have come through a spay with no problems. Good luck and I hope everything is a piece of cake!

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Awesome advice briteday! You should write up the new "spay/neuter aftercare sheets" at my work! :p

1 - 10 of 10 Posts