Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My adult daughter's boyfriend got a puppy last weekend. The puppy, named Maddie, is only 5 wks old and while you and I know that she shouldn't have been taken from her litter so early, the boyfriend is not so smart! She has been to the vet and got a clean bill of health (thank goodness) and the boyfriend is being schooled!

The people who sold her said she is bull mastiff / shepherd cross. She doesn't look like either of those breeds to me! Anyone want to hazard a guess at what she might be? Here are her most recent pictures. TIA

maddie.jpg

maddie2.jpg

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Looks like a Lab pup to me. But it's really hard to tell when they're so young.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Looks yellow lab to me as well, but as she grows she might start to change a bit but she screams yellow lab at the moment lol

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Lab. I have zero doubt in my mind.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I agree, looks like a lab to me as well.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
She looks like a little lab to me too, but it's also hard to tell that young. Most puppies kind of look the same at that age.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Mastiff x shepherd? Um . . . no. Not that puppy. That looks like a purebred yellow lab.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
IMO Everything with short fur and a solid coat color looks kinda like a lab at that age, lol! They're all still pretty boxy and square looking. Though she really looks VERY labby right now, you'll have to wait and see how she looks when she gets a little older to have a better chance at guessing accurately. She's super cute and I hope you continue to keep us updated with more puppy pics!

·
Registered
19 Posts
My pup is a German Shepherd/Mastiff cross and well I can't say I see it! She is super adorable though!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the guesses. I think she looks like a lab too. The people that had the puppies are pretty sketchy so I wouldn't be surprised if they lied about her breed. The mother dog was not present when the BF was there but he said the "father" was there and he was shepherd. These people told the BF that the mother doesn't live with them, that they own the father and the people that own the mother didn't want the pups so wouldn't keep them. What kind of people separate a mother from her babies so early in life?!?! Maddie will be well looked after in her new home though.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Well, although that pup doesn't look to have a single spec of shepherd in him - its not entirely impossible, either. Take my puppy for example, he looks like a purebred Kelpie - I have almost no doubt in my mind he could pass off as a purebred, given he looks almost identical to every red/tan Kelpie i've googled. He probably wouldn't pass as a well-bred Kelpie, but most people seem to have a hard time believing he's only half Kelpie, the rest of his genetics consist of Border Collie & Australian Shepherd, and I definitely don't see it myself. Seeing is believing though lol, the only parent I did meet of his was his Momma (Border Collie x Aussie), whom he was still nursing when I first saw him and picked him out. All of his littermates looked like purebred Kelpie's as well, and not a single one resembled their border collie x australian shepherd mom in the slightest way. Genetics can be odd.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts