Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In October, we got a sheltie puppy and around the first of the year, we got a 2 year old cat. They were tentitive at first, but then the pup started getting more brave. Usually, when Lizzy (the) cat is walking around the house, Dexter (our sheltie) stands on top of her or gently gnaws on her neck. We have tried to get him to stop and leave her alone by putting him on his back and telling him no or putting him in a secluded hallway by himself. He still goes running back to torment the cat. We have tried loud noises and giving him something else to chew on, but we just can't get him to stop. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
First, stop rolling him onto his back.

Next, put a leash on him. Whenever he goes for the cat, step on the leash to stop him. Give a correction sound like "ah ah!" and put your whole body in between him and the cat. Make yourself big and assertively say "MY CAT." Continue body blocking him, moving him away from the cat. If he continues to persist, remove him to a time-out spot for about 20 seconds, then bring him back in. Be persistent!

Does your dog go on furniture? Does your cat?

In my house, it was always "the cat owns this place - he can get on furniture. The dog has to sit and watch me for a command to be allowed on furniture." The cat ruled! Ha...isn't that how it always is :)

Above all, remember that shelties are a herding breed, and he's just doing what his instincts tell him to do! It would probably be a good idea to learn about herding games that you could play with him so that he can focus all those instincts in a more appropriate direction.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Give a correction sound like "ah ah!" and put your whole body in between him and the cat. Make yourself big and assertively say "MY CAT." Continue body blocking him, moving him away from the cat. Be persistent!

Does your dog go on furniture? Does your cat?

In my house, it was always "the cat owns this place - he can get on furniture. The dog has to sit and watch me for a command to be allowed on furniture." The cat ruled! Ha...isn't that how it always is :)

Above all, remember that shelties are a herding breed, and he's just doing what his instincts tell him to do! It would probably be a good idea to learn about herding games that you could play with him so that he can focus all those instincts in a more appropriate direction.
I agree :)

Teaching tricks and retrieving can help with expending some energy as well which usually helps calm those persistent behaviours to a more manageable level.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Ever try letting the cat handle herself?
This is something to consider....how is the cat acting when the dog is doing this stuff? I wouldn't suggest letting the cat fully handle it though, very closely mointor interactions with the dog on a leash.....last thing you need is an accident where the dog plays to hard or the cat claws back at the dogs face. In the worst outcomes you have either a dead cat and/or a blind dog.
In this thread I gave a detailed descriptionto someone with a cat chasing problem of what we did with Caeda and our two cats, its a little way down the thread, and pretty long. It has worked out pretty well, our cats are safe and healthy and I'm confident that it'll stay that way. Maybe it'll help you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts