Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every night and every morning my Sheltie, Chloe, seems to think its a fun idea to start bouncing around in her crate, scratching at the door, and barking. She does this every time my husband gets out of bed and leaves the room, or comes into the bedroom at night. She does this whether or not I'm in the room. basically, she doesn't listen to me trying to get her attention to get her to stop, she wont acknowledge a treat because she goes into this blind rage type thing and doesn't stop until he leaves the room or gets into bed. Its really odd. Its not like a I'm going to eat you if I was out of my crate type thing, but a I want out to play with you type thing. It drives both of us crazy because its not what you want to wake up to in the morning. I would say I could just not crate her at night, but her energy level is insane and she would just jump all over the bed and not let us sleep. PLEASE HELP!

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
How old is she? Our Abby was the most hyper thing in the mornings, but, she's settling as she's aging.
I wonder too, is she exercised on a regular basis? Could you add some exercise before bed so that she's super tired and not in the mood to play during the night or morning?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
she is almost a year old and has endless energy and what she is doing is mainly her showing excitement because she loves my husband so much. I just wish I knew how to stop her from doing this because its driving my husband crazy. She does a lot of play biting with me too. She mouths my arms and feet a lot...She doesnt get to go for a walk everyday because she is a bare to walk on a leash. She is sooooo scared of cars, but she has come a long way with the car fear. I have tried the gentle leader on her, she just pulled, I tried the gentle walker which works a little bit better than the leader, but she still pulls. We have been through 6 sessions of obedience classes and the way we were taught to heel doesnt seem to work with her because of how smart she is. I really want to do agility with her but I cant afford the classes. Any ideas of exersising her? Cause I couldn't walk her all winter long (snows here).

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
A few ideas to consider, and perhaps try ...

* cover her crate with a dog blanket, or a commercially-available cover at night.
* ensure that you and your husband are totally ignoring her at bedtime and in the morning. I'm reluctant to say it this way but -- no talk, no touch, no eye contact.
* move her crate into the hallway, just outside the door.
* for additional excercise, try "treibball".
* for unwanted play biting, read the forum sticky on "the bite stops here".
* for loose leash walking, check kikopup's youtube channel for instructional vids. Also, google for "silky leash".

1 - 6 of 6 Posts