Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm still researching right now and what breed I end up with depends highly on when and what the situation is. Right now shelties are the 'small breed' choice I'm looking at. I'm looking for an agility dog primarily. Fast, good amount of drive, confidence, eager to work with me. I know I want something with more oomph than my past shelties have been, but I have seen the kind of sheltie I like around agility rings. Unfortunately I don't know the breeders of them.

I've been out of the breed for so long (plus our first two were from not so great breeders). My 'well bred' sheltie's breeder doesn't breed anymore and he was too shy and too many issues for what I want.

Anyone have any suggestions worth looking into?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Are you against a rescue dog? Here in Texas, collies and shelties are always in shelters and rescue groups. I'm sure some of them would be agility prospects.

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll be honest, I'd really like a puppy this go around.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Why not just get another Papillion? I've found they make lovely little agility competitors. High drive, trust for their owners, intelligence and all that good stuff. Or is your heart set on a sheltie? I can find some good breeders for you, hold on give me like ten minutes ^-^
(My mom is the breeder of a Best in Breed winner at Westminster. If you were just looking for a high quality sheltie I could hook you up with that, but performance dogs is new ground for me. ;)

·
Registered
163 Posts

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No,my heart's not set on a sheltie. My heart is set on a border collie but I'm realistic enough to know that it might not be the best choice at the time I'm looking at getting a dog. I'm looking at accelerating my dog plans a little because of Mia's knee problems. She's great for agility otherwise and is okayed by the sports vets for the time being but our career might be a short one. I can't get another papillon or else I'll compare to Mia too much and wish she had better knees. I'm going to need a new agility dog sooner than later though.

I really want a herding breed. It's been 3 years since Trey passed away. Shelties are an easy breed for me since I've owned them longer than any other breed, and also a good agility breed. I have considered a few other breeds- pyr shep- like them on paper but finally met one and it wasn't what I thought it would be. I need to meet more but from the one I met, I like shelties better. Cardis- I like them a lot and think they're great fun personalities but the ones around here are slow compared to what I like. I still secretly want one just to have something different. They seem fun. Aussies- not sure. They're a bit big for my tastes and I'm not convinced any easier than a BC and I prefer BCs.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Have you talked to sheltie owners at a trial? I think that would be a great place to start if you find out the breeders of the dogs you already like!

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
I'm still researching right now and what breed I end up with depends highly on when and what the situation is. Right now shelties are the 'small breed' choice I'm looking at. I'm looking for an agility dog primarily. Fast, good amount of drive, confidence, eager to work with me. I know I want something with more oomph than my past shelties have been, but I have seen the kind of sheltie I like around agility rings. Unfortunately I don't know the breeders of them.

I've been out of the breed for so long (plus our first two were from not so great breeders). My 'well bred' sheltie's breeder doesn't breed anymore and he was too shy and too many issues for what I want.

Anyone have any suggestions worth looking into?
Kristen should be able to help you there. Asher is quite a nice boy, and she certainly knows about Shelties for agility

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I really like Asher from the few times I've met him. I emailed his breeder already but their website hadn't been updated in a few years so I'm not sure if they still breed or if I'm qualified enough to get a pup either. They have some really impressive dogs though.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
If you are willing to travel my advanced agility instructor has three MACH dogs from this breeder: http://www.sunterashelties.com/Performance.htm That is my instructor Pete and his wife. There are not pictures of his third dog on the breeders web site. MACH Suntera Bryce Grandillo

Master Agility Champion ~ AKC

Peter & Yvette Grandillo Jr.

Unfortunatly due to health issues Pete no longer competes or teaches. He is missed greatly as an instructor. He is a great friend and handler. Here is a video of Dawson and him at Sheltie Nationals 2009:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYEbxue1bEg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MACH 4 Suntera Cammi Grandillo MXP MJP2 CD CGC TDI

Master Standard Preferred ~ AKC

September 19th, 2010

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MACH 5 Suntera Dawson Grandillo CGC, TDI

Master Agility Champion MACH 5 ~ AKC

September 5th, 2010

85f8f6d0-ed7e-48ab-9050-09ab27bbb8f5
Y2:85f8f6d0-ed7e-48ab-9050-09ab27bbb8f5

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
I think I'm in the same place as you right now. I want to get a puppy for agility since my aussie has arthritis so he's done with that. I want another aussie but I'm afraid I'll just compare the new dog to Boomer too much. I've been looking into shelties, but haven't found a breeder that I like yet. It would really have to be the right sheltie for me to get one. I would love a border collie but I'm still in an apartment so a small dog would be a better choice. I have been debating this for the past couple years and still can't make up my mind!

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I'm honestly having a really hard time getting excited about the prospect of a sheltie at this point so I'm thinking of some other options. I'm still not sure what I'll end up doing. I really think I'm going to end up with a bigger breed (30-60 lb range). I'm not in an apartment so that does make things a bit easier but I'm still renting and would like to wait till I buy a house to get a bigger dog. I think I may regret going with another small dog because there's things I want to do that really require a bigger dog. Logically a sheltie is a great choice and a 'known' quantity but I'm not sure I can go with a breed I only kind of want. Gah, too complicated.

With BCs I'm having a hard time finding what I want in a breeder/dog combo to be honest.

I'm still thinking and checking out the recommendations though for both breeds (and a few others).

·
Registered
400 Posts
What about a female Boxer? Of course I'm biased, but try really do make god agility dogs. Females top out at about 60 lbs and are 21-23 inches. Don't know if that might be too big though.

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm definitely not a boxer person at all. I like them but couldn't see myself owning one ever.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Understandable, Boxers are definitely unique. Although Duke is quite laid back. Just curious, what are you looking for out of this dog?

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Agility and a pet mainly. Something that will enjoy doing things like hiking and frisbee or ball playing and then would amuse me with my agility games. I want something I don't have to really work to ramp up and work with me. I want some biddability and drive/desire to work built in. I don't care if the dog is superfast but want a dog that enjoys the game and enjoys training. The dogs that walk the course and have little interest are not for me. I think I am too green for some of the highest dogs though. I would LOVE a disc dog even just for playing around the house. And would love a water dog but it's not totally necessary. I'm also interested in stock work/herding trials to some degree but that would be a new frontier and more of an 'icing on the cake'.

Basically something that will go and have fun being active and training but will also chill at home, or learn to chill at home. I don't mind instilling an off switch or waiting till maturity- Mia didn't come with one naturally. I don't want pacing 24/7 or circling or a dog that can't settle at all. There's also the fact that I'm a young, single girl that lives alone so something with a decent bark and a little more size than the 7 lb dogs would be good.

I like dogs that aren't everyone's best friend and tend to differentiate between their owner and strangers. But I want confidence, not shyness. Of my two now, one is a people-lover to the obnoxious point and the other can be a little on the timid side. I have dealt with extreme shyness/fearfulness (my last sheltie) and don't want that again. I can deal with the range but IDEALLY the dog would be aloof/ignore but tolerate most strangers.

My dog experience since being an older teen/adult has been papillons (7) and shelties (3). I very much favor herding breeds in general though some sporting types are growing on me too. I would like to go back to the herding group for this dog. I think our personalities mesh best. I have not ever picked a breed on my own, the shelties we got because my mom wouldn't let me get a collie so they were a compromise. My mom also chose papillons and then I continued on with them because of apartment living and weight limits.

This is if the dog is my ideal, which I know is a tall order and I don't expect to get everything of course. So basically- Mia with about 30 lbs added on, a little more level headedness, and quite a bit more confidence. Oh and sound knees hopefully... :)

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
I think you're describing a BC. :)

Alternatively, what about a Toller? Or one of the versatile hunting dog breeds (Wirehaired Pointing Griffon, GWP, GSP)? I know you say herding not sporting, but these are a little off the beaten path (i.e. not Labs). Several people at my agility club run dogs like that. My parents have a Griff and I do think he would have been a good agility dog, and the breed doesn't have too many health problems. He is also one of the more bomb-proof dogs I know, without much effort by my parents to make him that way. Female griffs are around 55 pounds; males and GSPs/GWPs are a bit bigger. Keep hunting!

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I like Cardis quite a bit but... they're short. And usually kind of slow on the course. They seem like fun though and I could see myself with one for a bit of a change of pace one day but probably not as a 'primary dog' if that makes sense. Pemmies, I'm not a big fan of.

And tollers... this is one breed that comes up again and again for me from friends. I like them a lot from reading about them. I've not seen any in action, only at conformation shows, though. I like the look quite a bit too. They're a breed I like but don't feel drawn to much. I need to meet some more.

Most pointers aren't my kind of dog at all lol.

I like BCs a ton obviously.

I've considered: border collie, aussie, toller, sheltie, cardi, pyr shep, belgian (fluffy), english shepherd... I can't think of any more... I also have a secret crush on sporty goldens in agility but am not sure they have the right kind of temperament for me as a pet. But I love watching them run.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Griffs might be called "pointing," but I don't think they're anything like the houndy-type hunting dogs I think of as a "pointer." They're also nothing like Vizslas. But obviously it's your thing! :)

My parents' neighbors have had several tollers that they run in agility with. I've never seen them competing (only in their backyard), but they are wonderful dogs. They also make all kinds of funny noises.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts