Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two pets: a Sheltie named Bliss and a cat named Luke. We've had Bliss since she was a puppy, and we adopted Luke earlier this year. Both animals are about a year and a half old. I've had dogs my entire life but not cats, so this is my first experience having a dog and a cat.

Bliss is sort of a bossypants, playground police. Luke is much more lowkey, as most cats are. For the most part, they get along fine. But sometimes when they're playing, I feel like Bliss is getting too rough with him. Sometimes she'll put her mouth around his head. She will show more of her teeth but not really snapping or biting hard. Sometimes when she seems to be too rough, I can see Luke's claws come out just a bit while he grabs her face or body. Sometimes Luke will begin to make noises, like little meows and cries. I've read cats play silently, so whenever I hear him make a noise, I tell Bliss to back off. Sometimes I'll walk over and put myself between them. Bliss will also sometime chase Luke around the house. He has our basement all to himself thanks to a baby gate, so he has plenty of escape options when she's being annoying.

We got Luke in April, and so far, the only time either of them have drawn blood is within the first week we had Luke. He scratched Bliss on her nose, just a tiny scratch, barely bled at all. Since then, no blood. Luke also does not get all fluffed up around Bliss, and they spend a lot of time alone together without incident.

I guess what I'm trying to ask is, should I be worried about their play? Like I said, I don't have experience with cats and dogs living together, so I want to make sure I'm doing the right thing to keep Luke from getting hurt or from hurting Bliss to defend himself. I'm terrified she'll bite him too hard or he'll scratch one of her eyes. :(

1 - 1 of 1 Posts