Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody, I just posted my 6 year old Rott died of 3 Copperhead bites - well I have an additional suggestion to pass on to everyone if I could please.

After Honda died I signed up for Rott Rescue. They notified me of a puppy at Grand Prairie Shelter. I went there, adopted Ericka, drove home. When we got home, she had diarrhea. I assumed it was the drive, the new home, stress, etc. Well it continued so I took her to Animal Hospital where I was told she had Parvo. Again, just like my snake bitten dog, everything medical science could do was done for her. But she went limp and unresponsive, so I had to euthanize her.

Vet told me it takes 10 days for symptoms to show up, so she had it 8 1/2 days before I got her.

Information about Parvo for those who may wish to know. It is a stomach virus that destroys the lining of the stomach and is highly contagious and has a 91% death rate - these are "facts" I got off the internet - so you may want to research this information yourself - but the point is - my dog died from it.

What I had to do after having the pup for 36 hours is throw away everything she came in contact with or bleach it 3 times. I had to throw away $266.00 of her medicine because I touched it while touching her. I had to get a garden hose sprayer, fill it with bleach and bleach my entire yard, let it dry, do it again 2 more times. Luckly I have hardwood floors as I poured the bleach full strength on the floors, let it dry, repeated it 3 times.

Even after all of the above, my yard remains unsafe for a puppy for 6 months.

Prevention - if the momma dog had had her shots, the puppy would have been immunized until she was old enough to get her own shots.

My 9 year old lab is just fine, as he has had annual vacinations without fail.

Recommendation - Please rescue pets from shelters. With the knowledge I now have, I would take precautions for the 10 days that Parvo takes to show symptoms and I would limit the puppy to just a small area of the yard, so if the Parvo were to show up within the 10 days, my entire property would not be contaminated.

Thanks for listening to a broken hearted one who lost 2 dogs in 10 days through no fault of my own.

·
Registered
13,065 Posts
Once again I am so very sorry for your losses.

I lost two pups due to parvo many years ago .... and the one had all his vaccinations.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I'm so sorry for your losses - how awful! Did you contact the shelter? It needs to quarantine its animals, for sure.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi oh thank you. Yes I called them the minute the vet diagnosed her and then the next day when she was euthanized. They euthanized her siblings. I don't know what else they did. Thanks again, Linda

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
That's unfortunate. We've had several puppies pulled from multiple shelters blow with parvo this year and about half of them passed. Shelter environments (especially for open intake/municipal and underfunded) harbingers for illness. Shelter workers generally try their best though. Another course to take would be to get an older dog from a reputable rescue. In ours we generally have our dogs/puppies in foster homes for 2 week at MINIMUM and usually a month or two before they are adopted out.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Losing two dogs in ten days is terrible. I was a wreck after losing two in thirteen months.

Thanks for sharing the Parvo information. Hopefully it will help others avoid a hearbreaking situation.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi, oh thank you very much. I appreciate the additional information as well. Yes, I think the worst problem was the shelter received her on Tuesday and adopted her out on Wednesday. They had her less than 24 hours and she was not seen by an Animal Control Officer or anything as I was told later.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I'd also like to add that my clinic has started using this as the first stage of parvo treatment before going to the very expensive methods and its seeming to get stunning results in pounds across the US that can't afford to treat parvo

Tamiflu treatment is that method, the results have been pretty crazy I would encourage you guys to search it up

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow, that is such good news. I am really glad there is something that seems to be helping. I purchased the $266.00 of prescriptions, antibiotic, diarrhea pill, vomiting pill, stomach lining pill, iv solution for sub q, etc etc. None of it helped, not one tiny bit. So thanks for the awesome informatoin. Linda

·
Registered
341 Posts
Wow, that is such good news. I am really glad there is something that seems to be helping. I purchased the $266.00 of prescriptions, antibiotic, diarrhea pill, vomiting pill, stomach lining pill, iv solution for sub q, etc etc. None of it helped, not one tiny bit. So thanks for the awesome informatoin. Linda
Yea it's been around for a while now, it's kinda concerning that more vet clinics are using it. Maybe because regular treatment can cost thousands vs tamiflu costing a minuscule fraction of that

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Looking back at what happened to me, I do feel the 24 Animal Hospital did not treat me "humanely" :) They offered me 2 choices, put the dog in the hospital for $1000 or take the dog home and give it the meds myself, wihch I did. They did not offer the me Tamilflu and they did not offer me euthanixa, wihich I ended up having to do just a few hours later. She was already lethargic and pretty lifeless at the vets, I believe a professional could tell she was beyond saving, but I am of course just guessing. I do wish I had not let her suffer quite so long, but I did not know she would not respond to the meds. I am having to repeat to my self that she is not suffering anymore. It was so horrible. Thanks for listening

·
Registered
341 Posts
Yea even euthanasia costs more than tamiflu. Regardless Whether they debate whether its an effective treatment or not (there hasn't actually been anyone denying it so far) they should at least put a little effort and try it out before you are going to say its hopeless and euthanize. People expect their vet should know everything and puts their full trust into them but this isn't a perfect world. Many vets either don't have the time to look into these things or care more about the money than the well being. It took me a long time to find a vet i trusted with my dogs lives without question and even then he encourages me to do my research cause as I said they don't have all the time in the world. Now I volunteer there regularly and have picked up Afew hundred volunteer hours and 2 sessions of coops.

·
Banned
1,625 Posts
Awww... sending hugs & strength.
So sorry to hear that...

I would be devestated if I were to lose Roman (in any way)... dread even thinking about it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That is so awesome of yu to volunteer. I am not allowed to volunteer, to work or to go to school or I will lose my disability benefits. That is very sad because even with Progressive Multiple Sclerosis I still need to get out of the house and see people. Funny enough at the time I was at the 24 hr animal hospital, i was the only one there so the vet was not as pressed for time as he might have been otherwise. my heart tells me he only spoke $$ not what was best for the baby puppy. Thanks for the good info, Linda

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.