Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So my dog, Shaggy, was found and the shelter told us 8 days later, after the fact that someone brought him in, the thing is though they didn't call us the moment he was found. He was missing a total of two weeks. We even called in to see if they had him a few times.

The shelter told us we could do what is called a surrender, or they would send humane officers to get an order to seize the pet. He pointed out that because we missed two follow up appointments that constitutes "neglect"

In April during his last appointment the Vet(who worked for the shelter) had told us that he would eventually need to be put down due to the pollyp in his ear. Knowing this we were going to make the hard choice of putting him down, thats when they sprung out two "options" on us.

They want to treat him, but at the same time we don't want to surrender him. He is still at the shelter He's 14 years old, and has recurring health issues namely the polyp and he is beginning to suffer from arthiritis. Before he went missing I was going to have him groomed before putting him down and having him cremated.

I also am exploring my legal options because the director of the humane society is the one who gave us those two options. I did not ask about reclamation because I do want him to be treated(because we want to put him down, he will only suffer if we continue to keep him alive) and offered to pay all associated cost with his treatment that he has received as a gesture of goodwill.

I get the feeling even if I asked to reclaim him, I don't think they would be inclined to do so. Especially since we would rather put him to rest.
I think they are trying to use abandonment laws, if any, to pull a fast one since he is in the shelters care receiving treatment. Please help, I am stressed the hell out with this ordeal. This ordeal will probably change my thoughts about out local humane society, mainly the guy running it.

We took care of him, made sure he got his shots, fed him, groomed him and made reasonable efforts to maintain his well being despite missing those two appointments. He is a Cockerspaniel/Snouzer/Bloodhound mix. This is our first and most likely last dog and would like to give him a proper send off. While I am not a person of means. I put my dog before my wants and needs often.

For reference, I live in Ohio.

I know that I am entitled to the following:
A trial prior to the seizure.

·
Registered
549 Posts
That is so messed up from that shelter!!! Can you ask for your phone records to prove that you called them? That is just so sad for your dog... that he can't be with you for his last months. I'm so sorry. I would honestly call the humane society and tell them exactly what happened.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Ohio is screwy in a lot of areas when it comes to dogs. Columbus being the worst, followed closely by the Dayton area rescues and shelters.

You will know nothing till you actually ask for the dog back, at that time and with whatever answer they give you will have to decide then as to what steps to take.

Here in Springfield Ohio there is actually a dog warden who has been busted multiple times trying to lure dogs out of there yards, and he still has a job.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts