Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last Monday, my dad and I took our 1.5 year-old Standard Poodle out for a drive. We go for plenty of drives with him, but he whined and yelped the whole way this time. I had to go in for an exam, but they stayed in the car. The whole event lasted for about 90 minutes, roughly 10 of which our dog spent alone. He was panting heavily after that, but it was only about 68 or 70 degrees with the car windows slightly open and he was given a substantial amount of water afterwards.

We did the same thing about a year ago, and although he was unruly during the trip, he didn't do anything like he did this time.

The next day, he vomited several times and defecated in the house. We gave him some pepto bismol and imodium, after which his state seemed to improve. We didn't take him anywhere or participate in any exciting or strenuous activities with him. Just tonight, he was reluctant to eat his dinner. This isn't uncommon, as he is literally afraid of his own shadow. I tried to cajole him into eating and noticed that he was quivering. Suddenly, he assumed a hunched-over stance and, like a scene out of Alien, some slightly runny (but mostly solid) dung catapulted out of his backside.

What's going on here? His poop has been more runny lately. Is our Poodle suffering some kind of canine PTSD? No one in the family has been sick lately and he hasn't been with any other dogs either. Is he still feeling the effects of Monday, or has he caught a virus?

·
Banned
6,240 Posts
I think he is probably ill and should see a vet... Dogs will "get over" their fear very quickly after the fear-causing stimulus is taken away--usually it doesn't last this long or crop up for no reason.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
My Schnauzer/Poodle Leeo ... before he was diagnosed with his disease ... would hunch over with an arched back from pain. I would have him seen by the vet.

Keep us posted please on what the vet finds. :)

·
Registered
751 Posts
Im sorry your poodle is so stressed out in the car. However... what makes you think he's shellshocked? that generally comes with an event in the dogs life thats tramatic such as an explosion ( ie: innocent while on the job like K-9 sniffer with a possible explosion , over in Iran or where ever the wars are [im sorry if that offeneds anyone, i don't exactly keep myself up to date on the wars] etc). This is normally found in services dogs. Im not saying he is not, just I very much doubt it.

He could certinly have SA ( seperation anixety ), fear of cars or even moving cars and he could just be a very..very nervous dog.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Im sorry your poodle is so stressed out in the car. However... what makes you think he's shellshocked? that generally comes with an event in the dogs life thats tramatic such as an explosion ( ie: innocent while on the job like K-9 sniffer with a possible explosion , over in Iran or where ever the wars are [im sorry if that offeneds anyone, i don't exactly keep myself up to date on the wars] etc). This is normally found in services dogs. Im not saying he is not, just I very much doubt it.

He could certinly have SA ( seperation anixety ), fear of cars or even moving cars and he could just be a very..very nervous dog.
Sorry for any confusion. I was using the term metaphorically. To expand a little more, he is a very excitable dog. As I mentioned, he is literally afraid of his own shadow and sometimes even jumps at the sound of crinkling newspaper.

The strange thing about this is that, despite his symptoms, he doesn't act sick. He still acts upbeat and active.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Sorry for any confusion. I was using the term metaphorically. To expand a little more, he is a very excitable dog. As I mentioned, he is literally afraid of his own shadow and sometimes even jumps at the sound of crinkling newspaper.

The strange thing about this is that, despite his symptoms, he doesn't act sick. He still acts upbeat and active.
Not to be alarmist, but dogs do that. Two days before dying of liver failure caused by liver cancer he'd had for at least 6 months, my Muggsy was his usual playful, goofy, happy self.

Don't think a happy dog isn't sick.

·
Banned
6,240 Posts
Yeah... My dog had liquid diarrhea for two days after eating a bowl of Purina crap food with grains at my dad's house and here I was super worried and she was a little lethargic but still up for play! If you didn't know her like I know her you wouldn't think anything was wrong at all.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts