Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
I am most bothered by short double coats. I had a chi with a double coat and I swear there was fur everywhere all of the time, she would just lay on you and then you would have a furry little image of her on your clothes when you stood up. The hairs are pointy and stick into furniture and clothes too. Longer double coats seem to blow out and then be done, they make "tumble weeds" that are easier to keep cleaned up, but when you have a large long double coated dog you have a lot of dog fur around. Dukes coat was harsh and short and he had a lot of shedding pretty much year round. It was just more bothersome than Freyja who blows her coat.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
Labs. German Shepherds. Huskies. Rottweilers. :p

Nah, it's true that the little hairs are worse than the longer tumbleweed fur bunnies. But still. My dogs shed like they get paid for it. And we still find Willow's fur in random places. . .(she died in 2008)

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Much as Max was my heart dog I hated his fur. It didn't brush out of his coat and he didn't blow coat seasonally yet it was floating in the air constantly and wound itself in fabric so it couldn't be vacuumed up easily. Sassy had twice as much fuzz but at least I could brush it out of her coat, she blew coat seasonally and it wasn't all over the house! Max looked to be a lab/spaniel mix with a long not very dense double feathered coat. Sassy looked like a young lab and had a very dense short double coat. Oh, color. White/cream dust puppies aren't quite as ugly as gray/black dust puppies on my cream tiled/beige carpeted floors.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Short fur is worse than long fur. We had a Beagle as our first dog and her hair was all over, Maggie was long haired and even though we cut it short it didn't behave like short hair, shedding wise. Zoey is short haired and it is all over ... We long for the days of tumbleweeds!!

·
Registered
935 Posts
Worst I have ever personally owned was a short hair Saint Bernard, the hair never ended. Have never owned a long haired one so can't compare the two. He was the last one I owned prior Saints though shed half as much as last one.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Whatever the heck the dog in my sig is. He's a 140 lb GSD or Mal mix, I think? He only sheds once a year. For 12 months. He's been blowing his coat for two months now, with every other day brushing and once weekly Furminator vacuuming. His hair is *everywhere* all of the time. I can brush a dog-size ball of fur out of his coat every four days. You think I'm joking?:

Buttons added for laughs :)

·
Registered
777 Posts
I dogsat two golden retrievers a while back. They shredded a lot, but at least fur tended to either stay in the coat or form lots of little clingy tan tumbleweeds for the most part. Clyde's short, thick double coat means little clingy grey tumbleweeds, thick hairs that get stuck in my shoe cushions and stab my foot while I'm walking, among other things thick hairs do, and it all is constantly falling out of the coat. I can brush until I make a new Clyde out of the fur, but that will only take away the undercoat problem. The thick hairs will still constantly fall out and get everywhere as though I never brushed him.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Judging by the state of my pool when our doggy friends visit, as well as having lived with several over the years I have to say lab. That said, for a short haired dog my current girl is shedding like crazy despite all my efforts to prevent it. I keep thinking she's blowing her puppy coat but seriously how long can that last? LOL

·
Super Moderator
11,443 Posts
I had an Irish setter. I thought she was a shedder.

I thought that right up until I got a very large black lab with a light grey undercoat. He could generate fur faster than I could brush it out with an undercoat rake. And he enjoyed the brushing so much it was mildly obscene.

I was brushing him in the front yard one day (so as not to overwhelm the back yard) and a guy stopped and watched for a bit and then said, "When I die, I want to come back as THAT dog."

Robins would gather in the trees to pick up choice nest liners. We would put dog fur in old stockings in the garden to discourage rabbits. (Actually the dog himself did a much better job at discouraging rabbits than his fur did.)

·
Super Moderator
7,273 Posts
They may be small, but Pugs will give any heavily shedding breed, Labs and GSDs included, a run for their money. My word but they shed! I can sweep in the morning, and by the afternoon you wouldn't be able to tell I did. I keep separate wardrobes for going out and for hanging out around the house and I'm very careful to keep them separate. I love Pugs to death, but the shedding, oh man, I DON'T love that, lol. Still, it's a price I'm willing to pay. :)

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I second Remaru: short haired, double coated dogs are the worst! Cameron, the smooth collie, put out at least double the fur of Toby, the rough. We could chase him around the deck with the furminator for an hour and he'd still have fur wafting off of his body.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
At the shelter, you could look down the aisle and see just what cage the Dalmation was in if we had one in the shelter. The amount of hair in front of the cage was massive.

For my own dogs, I would say the Rotts beat any dog breed that I have owned or watched.

I thought it would be fun to own a hairless dog, till I found out that unless they get a bath they leave oil spots wherever they have been, Nope, not for me. I would rather pick up dog hair than be challenged by oil spots.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Dalmatians are the worst. They shed 365-days a year. But ... only two(2) times a day

... Night-time and Day-time.

Not the best breed for people with a lot of crushed-velvet pictures of Elvis.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Agree. Short haired dogs. My Aussie shed, badly but mostly it was large clumps you could pick up or pull right out.

My mom had a beagle/bulldog mix. She looked mainly beagle with the exception of her white and tan coat.... which was everywhere. She would curl in bed with me, when she left... a spot of hair. And you couldn't just brush it off either. Sometimes just vaccuming over it wouldon't even pick up anything.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
I used to whine about double coated dogs, like Goldens and GSDs. Twice a year, Muggsy would blow his coat, and I would brush an entire dogs' worth of fur off of him three times a day for 2 weeks.

Then I got Kabota. He sheds every single day, 365 days per year. In retrospect, Muggsy's 4 weeks per year of shedding was way easier to handle.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts