Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there. Ruby is a 1.5 year old mini beagle. She wont let us touch her nails feet or anything. We have tried many methods we see on the internet. Certain positions, familiarization with tools, treats, routines, ect. She still wont let us near. Ive only every dont her front nails once. She was in a very deep sleep and didnt notice us touching her (abnormal). Once i went to the back feet sheet woke up and bolted. If you do get a foot in your hand she tries to roll like a crocodile and nip at your fingers. Is there something I can get to knock her out or drug her so she is docile and can get a trim in. They are getting so long.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Reactions: TrevorF

·
Registered
566 Posts
This method will take time and your patience with plenty of treats.

When you are lounging with the dog petting it, begin to just handle the legs. Slowly work down to a paw, just a touch and give a treat. Your goal is to slowly work up to get the dog accustomed having the paws handled. You need to build the trust. Eventually, you'll be able to handle the paws without any trouble.

Now, you can start the process of training the nail clip. Introduce the tool, treat, touch paw with tool, treat......each step can not be rushed. Make the cutting motion with the tool (don't cut), treat. Work up to trimming one toe with a very small clip, treat, treat, treat......

Dogs are very sensitive about their feet. My dog had all of his toes quicked when he was a pup at his first grooming. My dog is now 4 yo and I can do trimming with much patience and many treats. He is still twitchy, but will allow me to use a grinder. I've tried the scissor and guillotine type without success.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
You can also try walking regularly on cement! That wears down the nails so you only need to trim the dew claws.
j
Not necessarily. I used to walk my dogs on pavement nearly every day, and still needed to trim their nails.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts