Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay, so I have a soon to be year old huskyxgsd and she's fantastic. Well except for when we're walking. Upendi thinks it's her job in life to pull me as much as she can. I've tried food, toys, affection to train her for loose leash walking. After that I moved on to the gentle leader and even with that she still pulled and really just hated it. So we moved onto the easy walk harness and once again she still pulls. The next step would be a prong collar, but I live in a small farming time and there are NO reputable trainers in the area. I've been looking since she was 8 weeks old for a trainer. And I'm not experienced with a prong collar so I don't want to try and use it without properly knowing how and end up hurting her. So does anyone have any ideas on how I can train her to lose leash walk? I'm up for anything. She's extremely well behaved any other time.

I might also add that I've tried stopping and waiting for her to sit everytime she pulls. Well she's got the point and sits as soon as I stop, but as soon as we start she's back to pulling. I've also tried turning and going to other way when she pulls as well. She gets walked at least once a day for an hour sometimes twice and she gets a daily off leash run outdoors aswell.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
You failed to mention any training/rewards for walking EXACTLY where you want her to walk.....3' ahead, 3' behind, 3' to the side or right by your side? That's what you need to show her....where she should be walking and you reward that spot and that spot only. The easiest way to do this is the turn around method. When she catches up and she reaches your side you praise and treat. While walking with her, let her nibble treats freely/frequently at your hip...teach her that's the sweet spot. This takes time and you need to be consistent....don't start 'delivering' treats for being out of position. One way to ensure that you don't deliver is to always keep your wrist on your waist/hip...she has to come to that spot to get the treat.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Husky..bread to pull. So she is acting on instinct and she thinks it is her job to pull you around. This is very typical in huskies and can be hard to break at older ages, but your girl is still a pup at heart. Are you using a harness or a flat collar. I can't stand a harness unless I am training a dog to pull a sled, that's what they are meant for. And a flat collar will only choke the dog out and make her pull harder because she doesn't realize she is choking herself. Try the techniques I explained here http://www.dogforums.com/3-dog-training-forum/47290-lab-pup-won-t.html but instead of forward momentum try holding your ground with the short but firm snaps to the leash. And a prong or pinch collar is a must if you have never trained a husky before. Remember to stay strong and say no voice commands until she does what you ask. And absolutely no treats during any kind of training Once she is able to walk next to you with slack in the line everything else will become very easy. Good luck hope this helps some.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank everyone for your suggestions. Tooney dogs, I'm trying to get her to walk at heel. Although I would be happy just having a loose leash period.
Bambee- Thank you very much for the link. :)
Labs - I stated already that I'm not familiar with using a prong collar and I'm afraid of hurting her with it. :(
Binkalette- Thank you for the link, I've never seen kikopups videos, I'll have to check them out.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
I had a dog whose mission in life seemed to be to pull me around. Despite all of my efforts of training inside the house w/out leash or collar, getting excellent results there, and then gradually going out into the back yard, etc., he would PULL! Forget being a tree, or changing direction; he'd PULL! Arrrgh! A trainer suggested I put a little peanut butter on a wooden spoon and use that during our walks . . . well, the PB didn't work, but, Braunswieger sure did! It also helps to make sure the dog is HUNGRY, and, to isolate the dog from you for a couple of hours before the training session.

It worked for me, I hope it works for you.

I've never seen kikopups videos, I'll have to check them out.
BTW, this woman is fabulous! She's fun, and her dogs love that.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thank everyone for your suggestions. Tooney dogs, I'm trying to get her to walk at heel. Although I would be happy just having a loose leash period.
Labs - I stated already that I'm not familiar with using a prong collar and I'm afraid of hurting her with it. :(
Binkalette- Thank you for the link, I've never seen kikopups videos, I'll have to check them out.
Your not going hurt your dog useing a prong collor, she's not a small breed but I understand your concern. I use to feel the same way. Good Luck, hope it works out for you.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Your not going hurt your dog useing a prong collor,
If she doesn't know how to use it, she very well can, and shouldn't try to use it without someone (a person, in person) teaching her.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I'm on the same thought train as you regarding the prong collar...in fact, that's the last place I'll go with Tucker. He used to pull like crazy, but with many repetitions and consistency on my part, he walks quite nicely on-leash. Don't give up!

I wear a 4' Lupine leash around my waist and hook another 4' leash (this one is leather) to the first one, creating my own version of a hands-free leash system -- it's just what I had -- and it works great for using the clicker and treats to reward Tucker for being in the "sweet spot". I also wanted some way to release him fast if I had to.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Jesirose - Thank you. If we had a reputable trainer around here to show me how to use it I might go that route, but we just don't.

Drea - That gives me hope. :D

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Is the Easy Walk adjusted right? They loosen up quickly, you have to adjust it often. Also I prefer the backup method to just stopping. When I combined walking the OTHER way with the Easy Walk Sadie was walking on her collar in 2 months. I also got a great tip from Dogstar - I have Sadie sit often, especially on BOTH corners of a crossing. I don't stop and wait, I stop and ask for it. Then she learned often stops, often direction changes, I better just watch mom.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Thank you, that is a big problem I'm having with the easy walk. I can't ever seem to get it adjusted perfectly. As it says the belly strap is supposed to sit in a straight line, but it seems hers always angles right by her arm pits (leg pits maybe?), and I'm constantly having to tighten the chest strap. Any tips to get it adjusted right?

I just want to add one more thing because it's been mentioned that it's a huskies nature to pull and I respect that and this summer we're building Upendi a cart so she can fulfill that need. But I'd like to be able to just walk her.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Make the top strap as wide as it goes and tighten the belly and front.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you!

·
Registered
291 Posts
Okay, so I have a soon to be year old huskyxgsd and she's fantastic. Well except for when we're walking. Upendi thinks it's her job in life to pull me as much as she can. I've tried food, toys, affection to train her for loose leash walking. After that I moved on to the gentle leader and even with that she still pulled and really just hated it. So we moved onto the easy walk harness and once again she still pulls. The next step would be a prong collar, but I live in a small farming time and there are NO reputable trainers in the area. I've been looking since she was 8 weeks old for a trainer. And I'm not experienced with a prong collar so I don't want to try and use it without properly knowing how and end up hurting her. So does anyone have any ideas on how I can train her to lose leash walk? I'm up for anything. She's extremely well behaved any other time.

I might also add that I've tried stopping and waiting for her to sit everytime she pulls. Well she's got the point and sits as soon as I stop, but as soon as we start she's back to pulling. I've also tried turning and going to other way when she pulls as well. She gets walked at least once a day for an hour sometimes twice and she gets a daily off leash run outdoors aswell.

Ah..you and me are in the exact same shoes! Maybe is a huskyxgsd and is about 8-ish months old. she LOVES to pull me everywhere. ---soooo best of luck to you..i know exactly how your feeling.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Maybe is beautiful. :) And the best of luck to you too! If I find something that works I'll be sure to let you know.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Yes, please update if you find something that works. I've tried all the usual suggestions, including treating when she's where I want her. But it seems like when we're on walks, nothing is as attractive as the next smell. I've tried penalty steps, but there are a lot of smells out there, and she'll just sniff at something else instead. I've started incorporating a lot of obedience work into our walks, but as soon as I take a step forward, she's pulling at the end of the leash again. I'll try the easy walk next and if that doesn't work, I'm tempted to try a prong collar.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Oh, I also wanted to mention that Ian Dunbar's site has some alternative methods for training loose-leash walking. I'm going to try them out tonight. Here is the link.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Have you tried being more patient? She eventually has to come back to your side. Let her smell your whole yard then walk around it. Practice inside.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts